Pygame is a Python library that can be used specifically to design and build games. Pygame supports only 2d games that are built using different shapes or sprites. Pygame doesn’t have an in-built layout design or any in-built UI system this means there is no easy way to make UI or levels for a game. The only way to make levels or different menus in pygame is by using functions.
Using Functions As Menus
Functions in Pygame are a way to contain different menus or levels by defining an event type in each function, then calling the functions from their respective container function.
For example, the game function will be called if the player hits the play button on the start menu. So, the start menu function becomes container functions for the game function. The important thing to note is that the start function can’t be called directly from game function. If the game contains different unlockable levels, then the previous level becomes the container function for the next level.
Sample Code For A Game Containing Start Menu
Python program to demonstrate Menus And Levels
Attention geek! Strengthen your foundations with the Python Programming Foundation Course and learn the basics.
To begin with, your interview preparations Enhance your Data Structures concepts with the Python DS Course.
- Python | Display images with PyGame
- Python | Display text to PyGame window
- Python | Drawing different shapes on PyGame window
- 8-bit game using pygame
- Python | Making an object jump in PyGame
- Python | Playing audio file in Pygame
- Python - Moving an object in PyGame
- Python - Drawing design using arrow keys in PyGame
- Bubble sort visualizer using PyGame
- How to create Buttons in a game using PyGame?
- Tic Tac Toe GUI In Python using PyGame
- How to initialize all the imported modules in PyGame?
- Building and visualizing Sudoku Game Using Pygame
- Collision Detection in PyGame
- Adding Boundary to an Object in Pygame
- Interesting Facts about PYGAME
- Binary Search Visualization using Pygame in Python
- Snowfall display using Pygame in Python
- How to change screen background color in Pygame?
- How to draw rectangle in Pygame?
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.