Prerequisite – Introduction of fork, getpid() and getppid()
Problem statement – Write a program to create one parent with three child using fork() function where each process find its Id. For example :
Output :parent 28808 28809 my id is 28807 First child 0 28810 my id is 28808 Second child 28808 0 my id is 28809 third child 0 0
Explanation – Here, we had used fork() function to create four processes one Parent and three child processes.
- An existing process can create a new one by calling the fork( ) function.
- The new process created by fork() is called the child process.
- We are using here getpid() to get the process id
- In fork() the total process created is = 2^number of fork()
Note – At some instance of time, it is not necessary that child process will execute first or parent process will be first allotted CPU, any process may get CPU assigned, at some quantum time. Moreover process id may differ during different executions.
Code 1 – Using
parent 28808 28809 my id is 28807 First child 0 28810 my id is 28808 Second child 28808 0 my id is 28809 third child 0 0
Code 2 – Using
parent 5219 5220 my id is 5217 my parentid is 5215 First child 0 5221 my id is 5219 my parentid is 1 second child 5219 0 my id is 5220 my parentid is 1 third child 0 0 my id is 5221 my parentid is 1
This article is contributed by Pushpanjali Chauhan. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Creating child process using fork() in Python
- Calculation in parent and child process using fork()
- Creating a C++ template in vim in Linux
- Namespace in C++ | Set 3 (Accessing, creating header, nesting and aliasing)
- fork() in C
- searching in fork()
- Fork CPP | Course Structure
- sorting in fork()
- Fork() - Practice questions
- C vs BASH Fork bomb
- fork() and Binary Tree
- Difference between fork() and exec()
- C program to demonstrate fork() and pipe()
- Factorial calculation using fork() in C for Linux
- fork() and memory shared b/w processes created using it