Prerequisite – Introduction of fork, getpid() and getppid()
Problem statement – Write a program to create one parent with three child using fork() function where each process find its Id. For example :
Output :parent 28808 28809 my id is 28807 First child 0 28810 my id is 28808 Second child 28808 0 my id is 28809 third child 0 0
Explanation – Here, we had used fork() function to create four processes one Parent and three child processes.
- An existing process can create a new one by calling the fork( ) function.
- The new process created by fork() is called the child process.
- We are using here getpid() to get the process id
- In fork() the total process created is = 2^number of fork()
Note – At some instance of time, it is not necessary that child process will execute first or parent process will be first allotted CPU, any process may get CPU assigned, at some quantum time. Moreover process id may differ during different executions.
Code 1 – Using
parent 28808 28809 my id is 28807 First child 0 28810 my id is 28808 Second child 28808 0 my id is 28809 third child 0 0
Code 2 – Using
parent 5219 5220 my id is 5217 my parentid is 5215 First child 0 5221 my id is 5219 my parentid is 1 second child 5219 0 my id is 5220 my parentid is 1 third child 0 0 my id is 5221 my parentid is 1
This article is contributed by Pushpanjali Chauhan. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Don’t stop now and take your learning to the next level. Learn all the important concepts of Data Structures and Algorithms with the help of the most trusted course: DSA Self Paced. Become industry ready at a student-friendly price.
- Creating child process using fork() in Python
- Calculation in parent and child process using fork()
- fork() in C
- Creating a C++ template in vim in Linux
- searching in fork()
- sorting in fork()
- Fork CPP | Course Structure
- Fork() - Practice questions
- C vs BASH Fork bomb
- Difference between fork() and exec()
- fork() and Binary Tree
- Factorial calculation using fork() in C for Linux
- C program to demonstrate fork() and pipe()
- Namespace in C++ | Set 3 (Accessing, creating header, nesting and aliasing)
- fork() to execute processes from bottom to up using wait()
- fork() and memory shared b/w processes created using it
- Multiple Inheritance in C++
- Get/Set process resource limits in C
- Difference between Single and Multiple Inheritance in C++
- Class template with multiple parameters