Create View refers to a view (logic) to create an instance of a table in the database. We have already discussed basics of Create View in Create View – Function based Views Django. Class-based views provide an alternative way to implement views as Python objects instead of functions. They do not replace function-based views, but have certain differences and advantages when compared to function-based views:
- Organization of code related to specific HTTP methods (GET, POST, etc.) can be addressed by separate methods instead of conditional branching.
- Object oriented techniques such as mixins (multiple inheritance) can be used to factor code into reusable components.
Class based views are simpler and efficient to manage than function-based views. A function based view with tons of lines of code can be converted into a class based views with few lines only. This is where Object Oriented Programming comes into impact.
Django Create View – Class Based Views
Illustration of How to create and use create view using an Example. Consider a project named
geeksforgeeks having an app named
Refer to the following articles to check how to create a project and an app in Django.
After you have a project and an app, let’s create a model of which we will be creating instances through our view. In
After creating this model, we need to run two commands in order to create Database for the same.
Python manage.py makemigrations Python manage.py migrate
Class Based Views automatically setup everything from A to Z. One just needs to specify which model to create Create View for and the fields. Then Class based CreateView will automatically try to find a template in
app_name/modelname_form.html. In our case it is
geeks/templates/geeks/geeksmodel_form.html. Let’s create our class based view. In
Now create a url path to map the view. In geeks/urls.py,
Create a template in
Let’s check what is there on http://localhost:8000/
Now let’s try to enter data in this form,
Bingo.! Create view is working and we can verify it using the instance created through the admin panel.
This way one can create create view for a model in Django.
- DetailView - Class Based Views Django
- UpdateView - Class Based Views Django
- ListView - Class Based Views Django
- DeleteView - Class Based Views Django
- FormView - Class Based Views Django
- Class Based Generic Views Django (Create, Retrieve, Update, Delete)
- List View - Function based Views Django
- Detail View - Function based Views Django
- Create View - Function based Views Django
- Update View - Function based Views Django
- Delete View - Function based Views Django
- Django CRUD (Create, Retrieve, Update, Delete) Function Based Views
- Views In Django | Python
- Render a HTML Template as Response - Django Views
- Creating views on Pandas DataFrame | Set - 2
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.