Problem: Write a C/C++ program to create a folder in a specific directory path.
This task can be accomplished by using the mkdir() function. Directories are created with this function. (There is also a shell command mkdir which does the same thing). The mkdir() function creates a new, empty directory with name filename.
// mkdir() function int mkdir (char *filename)
Note: A return value of 0 indicates successful completion, and -1 indicates failure.
- Program to create a directory in Windows using Turbo C compiler:
// C program to create a folder
* dirname =
check = mkdir(dirname,0777);
// check if directory is created or not
"Unable to create directory\n"
Directory created. a.out geeskforgeeks main.c
- Program to create a directory in Linux/Unix using GCC/G++ compiler:
// C++ program to create a directory in Linux
// Creating a directory
, 0777) == -1)
"Error : "
) << endl;
Note: Above source codes would not run on online IDEs as the program requires the directory path in the system itself.
This article is contributed by Rishav Raj. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- How to create a Shared Folder between two Local User in Linux?
- Create a shared Folder between Host OS and Guest OS ( Virtual Box)
- C++ program to create a file
- Program to create Custom Vector Class in C++
- Implementing Directory Management using Shell Script
- Automated Recursive Encryption in a Directory Using Shell Script
- How to check if a directory or a file exists in system or not using Shell Scripting?
- mindepth and maxdepth in Linux find() command for limiting search to a specific directory.
- How to create a Class in JShell of Java 9
- Create a password generator using shell scripting
- Create a Virtual Machine and Set up API on Google Cloud
- Create your own secure Home Network using Pi-hole and Docker
- C Program for Program to find area of a circle
- Lex Program to remove comments from C program
- C Program for Program for array rotation
Improved By : santoshbommanalli