File handling is a very important concept for any programmer. It can be used for creating, deleting, moving files or to store application data, user configurations, videos, images, etc. Python too supports file handling and allows users to handle files i.e., to read and write files, along with many other file handling options, to operate on files.
Refer to the following articles to check the basics of file handling.
Creating an empty file
File handling can also be used for creating a file. Even the file with different extension like
.jpeg can be created using file handling in Python. To create a file, the file must be open for writing. To open a file for writing access mode of file must be w, a, w+, a+. Access modes govern the type of operations possible in the opened file. It refers to how the file will be used once it’s opened. Below is the list of access modes for creating an empty file.
- Write Only (‘w’): Open the file for writing. For an existing file, the data is truncated and over-written.
- Write and Read (‘w+’): Open the file for reading and writing. For an existing file, data is truncated and over-written.
- Append Only (‘a’): Open the file for writing. The data being written will be inserted at the end, after the existing data.
- Append and Read (‘a+’): Open the file for reading and writing. The data being written will be inserted at the end, after the existing data.
Note: The file is created in the same directory of the script if no path is specified.
List of directories and files before creation: ['.idea', 'gfg.py', 'venv'] List of directories and files after creation: ['.idea', 'gfg.py', 'myfile.txt', 'venv']
# Example 2: Creating a new file at a specified location. For creating a file at a specified location os module is used. Below is the implementation.
List of directories and files before creation: ['test_nikhil.txt'] List of directories and files after creation: ['myfile.txt', 'test_nikhil.txt']
- Python | Create an empty text file with current date as its name
- Create a GUI to convert CSV file into excel file using Python
- How to create an empty class in Python?
- Create a Credential file using Python
- Python | Create checkbox using .kv file
- Python | Create Box Layout widget using .kv file
- Python | Create and write on excel file using xlsxwriter module
- Python | Create a stopwatch using clock object in kivy using .kv file
- Create empty dataframe in Pandas
- wxPython - Create empty window
- Wand - Create empty image with background
- How to create an empty DataFrame and append rows & columns to it in Pandas?
- Python program to reverse the content of a file and store it in another file
- reStructuredText | .rst file to HTML file using Python for Documentations
- Python - Get file id of windows file
- numpy.empty() in Python
- Python | Convert None to empty string
- Python | Check if dictionary is empty
- Python | Check whether a list is empty or not
- Initialize an Empty Dictionary in Python
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : DanielTinsley