Given a positive integer, write a function to find if it is a power of two or not.
Input : n = 4 Output : Yes 22 = 4 Input : n = 7 Output : No Input : n = 32 Output : Yes 25 = 32
1. A simple method for this is to simply take the log of the number on base 2 and if you get an integer then number is power of 2.
2. Another solution is to keep dividing the number by two, i.e, do n = n/2 iteratively. In any iteration, if n%2 becomes non-zero and n is not 1 then n is not a power of 2. If n becomes 1 then it is a power of 2.
3. All power of two numbers have only one bit set. So count the no. of set bits and if you get 1 then number is a power of 2. Please see Count set bits in an integer for counting set bits.
4. If we subtract a power of 2 numbers by 1 then all unset bits after the only set bit become set; and the set bit become unset.
For example for 4 ( 100) and 16(10000), we get following after subtracting 1
3 –> 011
15 –> 01111
So, if a number n is a power of 2 then bitwise & of n and n-1 will be zero. We can say n is a power of 2 or not based on value of n&(n-1). The expression n&(n-1) will not work when n is 0. To handle this case also, our expression will become n& (!n&(n-1)) (thanks to https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/program-to-find-whether-a-no-is-power-of-two/Mohammad for adding this case).
Please refer complete article on Program to find whether a no is power of two for more details!
- Program to find sum of the given sequence
- Program to find Sum of the series 1*3 + 3*5 + ....
- C++ Program to find the sum of a Series 1/1! + 2/2! + 3/3! + 4/4! +.......+ n/n!
- Program to find the value of tan(nΘ)
- Program to find the value of sin(nΘ)
- Program to find Nth term in the given Series
- C/C++ Program to find sum of elements in a given array
- Program to find the number of men initially
- Program to find N-th term of the series a, b, b, c, c, c,.......
- Program to find Nth term in the series 0, 0, 2, 1, 4, 2, 6, 3, 8,...
- C++ Program to find sum of even factors of a number
- Program to find N-th term of series 3, 5, 33, 35, 53....
- Program to find LCM of two Fibonnaci Numbers
- Program to find Nth term of the series 2, 4, 3, 4, 15...
- Program to find Nth term of the series 3, 6, 18, 24, ...