Cocktail Sort is a variation of Bubble sort. The Bubble sort algorithm always traverses elements from left and moves the largest element to its correct position in first iteration and second largest in second iteration and so on. Cocktail Sort traverses through a given array in both directions alternatively.
Each iteration of the algorithm is broken up into 2 stages:
- The first stage loops through the array from left to right, just like the Bubble Sort. During the loop, adjacent items are compared and if value on the left is greater than the value on the right, then values are swapped. At the end of first iteration, largest number will reside at the end of the array.
- The second stage loops through the array in opposite direction- starting from the item just before the most recently sorted item, and moving back to the start of the array. Here also, adjacent items are compared and are swapped if required.
Sorted array : 0 1 2 2 4 5 8
Please refer complete article on Cocktail Sort for more details!
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Java Program for Cocktail Sort
- Cocktail Sort
- Comparison among Bubble Sort, Selection Sort and Insertion Sort
- Program to sort an array of strings using Selection Sort
- C/C++ Program for Odd-Even Sort / Brick Sort
- Java Program for Odd-Even Sort / Brick Sort
- Why Quick Sort preferred for Arrays and Merge Sort for Linked Lists?
- Odd-Even Sort / Brick Sort
- Bucket Sort To Sort an Array with Negative Numbers
- Sort all even numbers in ascending order and then sort all odd numbers in descending order
- Serial Sort v/s Parallel Sort in Java
- Insertion sort to sort even and odd positioned elements in different orders
- Quick Sort vs Merge Sort
- Odd Even Transposition Sort / Brick Sort using pthreads
- Sort an Array which contain 1 to N values in O(N) using Cycle Sort
- Add elements in start to sort the array | Variation of Stalin Sort
- Merge Sort vs. Insertion Sort
- sort() vs. partial_sort() vs. nth_element() + sort() in C++ STL
- C Program for Bubble Sort on Linked List
- C Program to Sort an array of names or strings