Given a string str. The task is to find all possible number of strings that can be obtained by replacing the “$” with alphabets in the given string.
Note: Alphabets should be placed in such a way that the string is always alternating in vowels and consonants, and the string must always start with a consonant. It is assumed that such a string is always possible, i.e. there is no need to care about the characters other than “$”.
Input: str = "y$s" Output: 5 $ can be replaced with any of the 5 vowels. So, there can be 5 strings. Input: str = "s$$e$" Output: 2205
Approach: It is given that the string will start with a consonant. So, if ‘$’ is at even position(considering 0-based indexing) then there should be a consonant else there should be a vowel. Also, given that there is no need to care about the characters other than “$”, i.e., characters other than “$” are placed correctly in the string maintaining the alternating consonant and vowel sequence. Let us understand the problem with an example.
str = “s$$e$”
Here we have to find the number of ways to form a string with given constraints.
- First occurence of $ is at 2nd position i.e. 1st index, so we can use 5 vowels.
- Second occurence of $ is at 3rd position, so we can use 21 consonants.
- Third occurence of $ is at 5th position, so we can use 21 consonants.
So, total number of ways to form above string is = 5*21*21 = 2205
Below is the implementation of the above approach:
- Modify string by removing vowels in between two consonants
- Replace all consonants with nearest vowels in a string
- Modify the string by swapping continuous vowels or consonants
- Arrange consonants and vowels nodes in a linked list
- Count of pairs of strings which differ in exactly one position
- Encrypt string with product of number of vowels and consonants in substring of size k
- Arrangement of words without changing the relative position of vowel and consonants
- Check if a string can be converted to another string by replacing vowels and consonants
- Count consonants in a string (Iterative and recursive methods)
- Replace consonants with next immediate consonants alphabetically in a String
- Count the pairs of vowels in the given string
- Program to count vowels in a string (Iterative and Recursive)
- Count the number of vowels occurring in all the substrings of given string
- Python program to count number of vowels using sets in given string
- Program to count vowels, consonant, digits and special characters in string.
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.