Given two strings a and b, and an integer k which is the index in b at which the character can be changed to any other character, the task is to check if b is a sub-string in a and print out how many times b occurs in a in total after replacing the b[k] with every possible lowercase character of English alphabet.
Input: a = “geeks”, b = “ee”, k = 1
Replace b with ‘k’ and “ek” is a sub-string in “geeks”
“ee” is also a sub-string in “geeks”
Hence the total count is 2
Input: a = “dogdog”, b = “dop”, k = 2
Replace b with ‘g’, “dog” is a sub-string in “dogdog” which appears twice.
Approach: Make a list of all possible versions of the string b by iterating through all the lowercase letters and replacing the kth i.e. b[k] character in b with the current character.
Then count the number of occurrence of the new string b in the original string a and store it in a variable count. After all the lowercase characters are used, print the count.
Below is the implementation of the above approach:
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Python | All occurrences of substring in string
- Python | Get the starting index for all occurrences of given substring
- Python | Deleting all occurrences of character
- Count of binary strings of length N having equal count of 0's and 1's and count of 1's ≥ count of 0's in each prefix substring
- Count of strings possible by replacing two consecutive same character with new character
- Count Occurrences of Anagrams
- Count of occurrences of a "1(0+)1" pattern in a string
- Count occurrences of a word in string
- Count of occurrences of each prefix in a string using modified KMP algorithm
- Python | Count String occurrences in mixed list
- Python | Count occurrences of each word in given text file (Using dictionary)
- Python - Possible Substring count from String
- Python | Count overlapping substring in a given string
- Python | Ways to count number of substring in string
- Python - Count Strings with substring String List
- Count of substrings containing only the given character
- Count substrings with each character occurring at most k times
- Count of number of given string in 2D character array
- Python | Count K character between consecutive characters
- Python program to find the most occurring character and its count
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : nidhi_biet