Count numbers up to N having exactly 5 divisors
Given a positive integer N, the task is to count the number of integers from the range [1, N] having exactly 5 divisors.
Input: N = 18
From all the integers over the range [1, 18], 16 is the only integer that has exactly 5 divisors, i.e. 1, 2, 8, 4 and 16.
Therefore, the count of such integers is 1.
Input: N = 100
Naive Approach: The simplest approach to solve the given problem is to iterate over the range [1, N] and count those integers in this range having the count of divisors as 5.
Time Complexity: O(N4/3)
Auxiliary Space: O(1)
Efficient Approach: The above approach can also be optimized by observing a fact that the numbers that have exactly 5 divisors can be expressed in the form of p4, where p is a prime number as the count of divisors is exactly 5. Follow the below steps to solve the problem:
- Generate all primes such that their fourth power is less than 1018 by using Sieve of Eratosthenes and store it in vector, say A.
- Initialize two variables, say low as 0 and high as A.size() – 1.
- For performing the Binary Search iterate until low is less than high and perform the following steps:
- Find the value of mid as the (low + high)/2.
- Find the value of fourth power of element at indices mid (mid – 1) and store it in a variable, say current and previous respectively.
- If the value of current is N, then print the value of A[mid] as the result.
- If the value of current is greater than N and previous is at most N, then print the value of A[mid] as the result.
- If the value of current is greater than N then update the value of high as (mid – 1). Otherwise, update the value of low as (mid + 1).
Below is the implementation of the above approach:
Time Complexity: O(N*log N)
Auxiliary Space: O(N)
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready. To complete your preparation from learning a language to DS Algo and many more, please refer Complete Interview Preparation Course.