Given an interval, the task is to count numbers which have same first and last digits. For example, 1231 has same first and last digits.
Input : start = 7, end : 68 Output : 9 Number with same first and last digits are, 7 8 9 11 22 33 44 55 66. Input : start = 5, end : 40 Output : 8
Let us first consider below examples to understand the approach.
From 120 to 130, only 121 has same starting and ending digit From 440 to 450, only 444 has same starting and ending digit From 1050 to 1060, only 1051 has same starting and ending digit
From above examples, we can observe that in each ten number span we have only one number which has the given property except 1 to 10 which has 9 numbers (all one digit number) having same starting and ending digit.
Using above property we can solve given problem, first we break the given interval into two parts that is if interval is l to r, we break this into 1 to l and 1 to r, our answer is obtained by subtracting result of first query from second query.
Now we remain to find count of numbers with given property in range 1 to x, for this we divide x by 10, which gives number of 10-spans. We add 9 to the span for taking one digit numbers into account. If last digit of x is smaller than first digit of x, then 1 should be decreased in final answer to discard last ten span number because that number is out of range.
This article is contributed by Utkarsh Trivedi. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Minimum digits to be removed to make either all digits or alternating digits same
- Numbers of Length N having digits A and B and whose sum of digits contain only digits A and B
- Count substrings with same first and last characters
- Count non-palindromic array elements having same first and last digit
- N digit numbers having difference between the first and last digits as K
- Find first and last digits of a number
- Absolute difference between the first X and last X Digits of N
- Find the first and last M digits from K-th power of N
- Count numbers in a range with digit sum divisible by K having first and last digit different
- Count of Numbers in Range where first digit is equal to last digit of the number
- Count of numbers between range having only non-zero digits whose sum of digits is N and number is divisible by M
- Minimum number of digits to be removed so that no two consecutive digits are same
- Count of numbers with all digits same in a given range
- Count numbers in given range such that sum of even digits is greater than sum of odd digits
- Count of numbers upto N digits formed using digits 0 to K-1 without any adjacent 0s
- Find last k digits in product of an array numbers
- Check if the number formed by the last digits of N numbers is divisible by 10 or not
- Count of pairs (A, B) in range 1 to N such that last digit of A is equal to the first digit of B
- Last digit of a number raised to last digit of N factorial
- Count of N-digit Numbers having Sum of even and odd positioned digits divisible by given numbers
Improved By : nitin mittal