Given a “m x n” matrix, count number of paths to reach bottom right from top left with maximum k turns allowed.
What is a turn? A movement is considered turn, if we were moving along row and now move along column. OR we were moving along column and now move along row.
There are two possible scenarios when a turn can occur at point (i, j): Turns Right: (i-1, j) -> (i, j) -> (i, j+1) Down Right Turns Down: (i, j-1) -> (i, j) -> (i+1, j) Right Down
Input: m = 3, n = 3, k = 2 Output: 4 See below diagram for four paths with maximum 2 turns. Input: m = 3, n = 3, k = 1 Output: 2
We strongly recommend you to minimize your browser and try this yourself first.
This problem can be recursively computed using below recursive formula.
countPaths(i, j, k): Count of paths to reach (i,j) from (0, 0) countPathsDir(i, j, k, 0): Count of paths if we reach (i, j) along row. countPathsDir(i, j, k, 1): Count of paths if we reach (i, j) along column. The fourth parameter in countPathsDir() indicates direction. Value of countPaths() can be written as: countPaths(i, j, k) = countPathsDir(i, j, k, 0) + countPathsDir(i, j, k, 1) And value of countPathsDir() can be recursively defined as: // Base cases // If current direction is along row If (d == 0) // Count paths for two cases // 1) We reach here through previous row. // 2) We reach here through previous column, so number of // turns k reduce by 1. countPathsDir(i, j, k, d) = countPathsUtil(i, j-1, k, d) + countPathsUtil(i-1, j, k-1, !d); // If current direction is along column Else // Similar to above countPathsDir(i, j, k, d) = countPathsUtil(i-1, j, k, d) + countPathsUtil(i, j-1, k-1, !d);
We can solve this problem in Polynomial Time using Dynamic Programming. The idea is to use a 4 dimensional table dp[m][n][k][d] where m is number of rows, n is number of columns, k is number of allowed turns and d is direction.
Below is Dynamic Programming based C++ implementation.
Number of paths is 4
Time complexity of above solution is O(m*n*k)
Thanks to Gaurav Ahirwar for suggesting this solution.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Count the number of ways to tile the floor of size n x m using 1 x m size tiles
- Minimum number of jumps to reach end
- Total number of possible Binary Search Trees and Binary Trees with n keys
- Efficient program to print all prime factors of a given number
- Count all possible paths from top left to bottom right of a mXn matrix
- Program for nth Catalan Number
- Count number of binary strings without consecutive 1's
- Count Possible Decodings of a given Digit Sequence
- Count all possible walks from a source to a destination with exactly k edges
- Count ways to reach the n'th stair
- Count number of ways to reach a given score in a game
- How to print maximum number of A's using given four keys
- Count possible ways to construct buildings
- Count numbers from 1 to n that have 4 as a digit
- Find minimum number of coins that make a given value