Given two numbers ‘a’ and b’. Write a program to count number of bits needed to be flipped to convert ‘a’ to ‘b’.
Input : a = 10, b = 20 Output : 4 Binary representation of a is 00001010 Binary representation of b is 00010100 We need to flip highlighted four bits in a to make it b. Input : a = 7, b = 10 Output : 3 Binary representation of a is 00000111 Binary representation of b is 00001010 We need to flip highlighted three bits in a to make it b.
1. Calculate XOR of A and B. a_xor_b = A ^ B 2. Count the set bits in the above calculated XOR result. countSetBits(a_xor_b)
XOR of two number will have set bits only at those places where A differs from B.
Thanks to Sahil Rajput for providing above implementation.
To get the set bit count please see this post: Count set bits in an integer
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
GeeksforGeeks has prepared a complete interview preparation course with premium videos, theory, practice problems, TA support and many more features. Please refer Placement 100 for details
- Count number of bits to be flipped to convert A to B | Set-2
- Minimize bits to be flipped in X and Y such that their Bitwise OR is equal to Z
- Check if bits of a number has count of consecutive set bits in increasing order
- Count Set-bits of number using Recursion
- Count total bits in a number
- Count pairs (A, B) such that A has X and B has Y number of set bits and A+B = C
- Count unset bits of a number
- Program to count number of set bits in an (big) array
- Count of pairs in an Array with same number of set bits
- Count number of bits changed after adding 1 to given N
- Count number of set bits in a range using bitset
- Count pairs of elements such that number of set bits in their AND is B[i]
- Find a number X such that (X XOR A) is minimum and the count of set bits in X and B are equal
- Find zeroes to be flipped so that number of consecutive 1's is maximized
- Toggle bits of a number except first and last bits