Given two numbers ‘a’ and b’. Write a program to count number of bits needed to be flipped to convert ‘a’ to ‘b’.
Input : a = 10, b = 20 Output : 4 Binary representation of a is 00001010 Binary representation of b is 00010100 We need to flip highlighted four bits in a to make it b. Input : a = 7, b = 10 Output : 3 Binary representation of a is 00000111 Binary representation of b is 00001010 We need to flip highlighted three bits in a to make it b.
1. Calculate XOR of A and B. a_xor_b = A ^ B 2. Count the set bits in the above calculated XOR result. countSetBits(a_xor_b)
XOR of two number will have set bits only at those places where A differs from B.
Thanks to Sahil Rajput for providing above implementation.
To get the set bit count please see this post: Count set bits in an integer
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Count number of bits to be flipped to convert A to B | Set-2
- Count of total bits toggled/flipped in binary representation of 0 to N
- Minimize bits to be flipped in X and Y such that their Bitwise OR is equal to Z
- Count of 0s to be flipped to make any two adjacent 1s at least K 0s apart
- Find zeroes to be flipped so that number of consecutive 1's is maximized
- Maximum number of 0s that can be flipped such that Array has no adjacent 1s
- Check if bits of a number has count of consecutive set bits in increasing order
- Toggle bits of a number except first and last bits
- Check if all bits can be made same by flipping two consecutive bits
- Print numbers having first and last bits as the only set bits
- Program to count number of set bits in an (big) array
- Count unset bits of a number
- Count number of bits changed after adding 1 to given N
- Count pairs (A, B) such that A has X and B has Y number of set bits and A+B = C
- Count number of set bits in a range using bitset
- Count pairs of elements such that number of set bits in their AND is B[i]
- Count Set-bits of number using Recursion
- Find a number X such that (X XOR A) is minimum and the count of set bits in X and B are equal
- Maximum number of set bits count in a K-size substring of a Binary String
- Count total bits in a number