Given a limit N, we need to find out the count of binary digit numbers which are smaller than N. Binary digit numbers are those numbers which contains only 0 and 1 as their digits as 1, 10, 101 etc are binary digit numbers.
Input : N = 200 Output : 7 Count of binary digit number smaller than N is 7, enumerated below, 1, 10, 11, 110, 101, 100, 111
One simple way to solve this problem is to loop from 1 till N and check each number whether it is a binary digit number or not. If it is a binary digit number, increase the count of such numbers but this procedure will take O(N) time. We can do better, as we know that count of such numbers will be much smaller than N, we can iterate over binary digit numbers only and check whether generated numbers are smaller than N or not.
In below code, BFS like approach is implemented to iterate over only binary digit numbers. We start with 1 and each time we will push (t*10) and (t*10 + 1) into the queue where t is the popped element, if t is a binary digit number then (t*10) and (t*10 + 1) will also binary digit number, so we will iterate over these numbers only using queue. We will stop pushing elements in the queue when popped number crosses the N.
This article is contributed by Utkarsh Trivedi. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Find power of power under mod of a prime
- Find coordinates of the triangle given midpoint of each side
- Generation of n numbers with given set of factors
- Count of n digit numbers whose sum of digits equals to given sum
- Euler’s Totient function for all numbers smaller than or equal to n
- Number of Permutations such that no Three Terms forms Increasing Subsequence
- Check if the first and last digit of the smallest number forms a prime
- Print all substring of a number without any conversion
- Complement of a number with any base b
- Check if Decimal representation of an Octal number is divisible by 7