Input: S = “GADO”
The anagrams of string S satisfying the given conditions are GADO, GODA, DOGA, DAGO.
Therefore, the total number of such anagrams is 4.
Input: S = “AABCY”
The anagrams of the string S satisfying the given conditions are BACAY, BAYAC, CABAY, CAYAB, YABAC, YACAB.
Therefore, the total number of such anagrams is 6.
Naive Approach: The simplest approach is to generate all possible anagrams of the given string and count those anagrams that satisfy the given condition. Finally, print the count obtained.
Time Complexity: O(N!*N)
Auxiliary Space: O(1)
Efficient Approach: The above approach can also be optimized based on the following observations:
- Strings that have an equal number of consonants and vowels satisfy the given condition.
- Strings having one more consonant than vowel also satisfy the given condition.
- Apart from these two conditions, the count of possible anagrams will always be 0.
- Now, the problem can be solved by using a combinatorial formula. Consider there are C1, C2…, CN consonants and V1, V2, …, VN vowels in the string S and and \sum C denote the total number of consonants and vowels respectively, then the answer would be:
Ci is the count of ith consonant.
Vi is the count of ith vowel.
Follow the steps below to solve the problem:
- Initialize a variable, say answer, to store the total count of anagrams.
- Store the frequency of each character of the string S in a HashMap count.
- Store the number of vowels and consonants in S in variables V and C respectively.
- If the value of V is not equal to C or C is not equal to (V + 1), then print 0. Otherwise, performing the following steps:
- Initialize denominator as 1.
- Traverse the string S using the variable i and update the denominator as denominator*((count[S[i]])!).
- Initialize numerator to V!*C!, and update the value of answer as numerator/denominator.
- After completing the above steps, print the value of the answer as the result.
Below is the implementation of the above approach:
Time Complexity: O(N)
Auxiliary Space: O(N)
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important mathematical concepts for competitive programming with the Essential Maths for CP Course at a student-friendly price. To complete your preparation from learning a language to DS Algo and many more, please refer Complete Interview Preparation Course.