The expression denotes times.
This can be evaluated as the sum of the terms involving for k = 0 to n, where the first term can be chosen from n places, second term from (n-1) places, term from (n-(k-1)) places and so on. This is expressed as .
The binomial expansion using Combinatorial symbols is
- The degree of each term in the above binomial expansion is of the order n.
- The number of terms in the expansion is n+1.
Hence it can be concluded that .
Substituting a = 1 and b = x in the binomial expansion, for any positive integer n we obtain
for any non-negative integer n.
Replacing x with 1 in the above binomial expansion, We obtain
for any positive integer n.
Replacing x with -1 in the above binomial expansion, We obtain
Replacing x with 2 in the above binomial expansion, we obtain
In general, it can be said that
Additionally, one can combine corollary 1 and corollary 2 to get another result,
Sum of coefficients of even terms = Sum of coefficients of odd terms.
The coefiecients of the terms in the expansion correspond to the terms of the pascal’s triangle in row n.
- Mathematics | Walks, Trails, Paths, Cycles and Circuits in Graph
- Number of triangles in a plane if no more than two points are collinear
- Sum of product of r and rth Binomial Coefficient (r * nCr)
- Discrete Maths | Generating Functions-Introduction and Prerequisites
- Mathematics | Total number of possible functions
- Pascal Matrix
- Mathematics | Generalized PnC Set 1
- Mathematics | PnC and Binomial Coefficients
- Mathematics | Representations of Matrices and Graphs in Relations
- Mathematics | Hypergeometric Distribution model
- Mathematics | Renewal processes in probability
- Nonhomogeneous Poisson Processes
- Mathematics | Rings, Integral domains and Fields
- Introduction to Mojette transform
- Mathematics | Generating Functions - Set 2
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.