Given two numbers x and y, and a range [l, r] where 1 <= l, r <= 32. The task is consider set bits of y in range [l, r] and set these bits in x also. Examples :
Input : x = 10, y = 13, l = 2, r = 3 Output : x = 14 Binary representation of 10 is 1010 and that of y is 1101. There is one set bit in y at 3’rd position (in given range). After we copy this bit to x, x becomes 1110 which is binary representation of 14. Input : x = 8, y = 7, l = 1, r = 2 Output : x = 11
Source : D E Shaw Interview
Method 1 (One by one copy bits)
We can one by one find set bits of y by traversing given range. For every set bit, we OR it to existing bit of x, so that the becomes set in x, if it was not set. Below is C++ implementation.
Modified x is 14
Method 2 (Copy all bits using one bit mask)
Modified x is 14
Thanks to Ashish Rathi for suggesting this solution in a comment.
This article is contributed by Rishi. Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above
Don’t stop now and take your learning to the next level. Learn all the important concepts of Data Structures and Algorithms with the help of the most trusted course: DSA Self Paced. Become industry ready at a student-friendly price.
- Check whether all the bits are set in the given range
- Toggle bits in the given range
- Count set bits in a range
- Set all the bits in given range of a number
- Set bits in N equals to M in the given range.
- Unset bits in the given range
- Range query for count of set bits
- Python | Count set bits in a range
- Count unset bits in a range
- Check whether all the bits are unset in the given range
- Check whether all the bits are unset in the given range or not
- Check whether bits are in alternate pattern in the given range | Set-2
- Check whether bits are in alternate pattern in the given range
- Count number of set bits in a range using bitset
- Smallest number whose set bits are maximum in a given range
- Check if bits in range L to R of two numbers are complement of each other or not
- Python | Count unset bits in a range
- Print numbers in the range 1 to n having bits in alternate pattern
- Check if bits of a number has count of consecutive set bits in increasing order
- Check if all bits can be made same by flipping two consecutive bits