Given a string, find if it is possible to convert it to a string that is repetition of substring with k characters. To convert, we can replace one substring of length k with k characters.
Input: str = "bdac", k = 2 Output: True We can either replace "bd" with "ac" or "ac" with "bd". Input: str = "abcbedabcabc", k = 3 Output: True Replace "bed" with "abc" so that the whole string becomes repetition of "abc". Input: str = "bcacc", k = 3 Output: False k doesn't divide string length i.e. 5%3 != 0 Input: str = "bcacbcac", k = 2 Output: False Input: str = "bcdbcdabcedcbcd", k = 3 Output: False
This can be used in compression. If we have a string where complete string is repetition except one substring, then we can use this algorithm to compress the string.
One observation is, length of string must be a multiple of k as we can replace only one substring.
The idea is declare a map mp which maps strings of length k to an integer denoting its count. So, if there are only two different sub-strings of length k in the map container and count of one of the sub-string is 1 then answer is true. Otherwise answer is false.
This article is contributed by Himanshu Gupta(Bagri). If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Find length of longest subsequence of one string which is substring of another string
- Maximum length substring with highest frequency in a string
- K length words that can be formed from given characters without repetition
- Length of the largest substring which have character with frequency greater than or equal to half of the substring
- Find if a given string can be represented from a substring by iterating the substring “n” times
- Partition given string in such manner that i'th substring is sum of (i-1)'th and (i-2)'th substring
- Length of the longest substring that do not contain any palindrome
- Longest Even Length Substring such that Sum of First and Second Half is same
- Length of the longest substring with equal 1s and 0s
- Length of the longest valid substring
- Maximum length substring having all same characters after k changes
- Find max length odd parity substring
- Length of the longest substring without repeating characters
- Substring with highest frequency length product
- Minimum K such that every substring of length atleast K contains a character c