Write a C function ftoa() that converts a given floating-point number or a double to a string. Use of standard library functions for direct conversion is not allowed. The following is prototype of ftoa(). The article provides insight of conversion of C double to string.
ftoa(n, res, afterpoint) n --> Input Number res --> Array where output string to be stored afterpoint --> Number of digits to be considered after the point.
- ftoa(1.555, str, 2) should store “1.55” in res.
- ftoa(1.555, str, 0) should store “1” in res.
We strongly recommend to minimize the browser and try this yourself first.
A simple way is to use sprintf(), but use of standard library functions for direct conversion is not allowed.
Approach: The idea is to separate integral and fractional parts and convert them to strings separately. Following are the detailed steps.
- Extract integer part from floating-point or double number.
- First, convert integer part to the string.
- Extract fraction part by exacted integer part from n.
- If d is non-zero, then do the following.
- Convert fraction part to an integer by multiplying it with pow(10, d)
- Convert the integer value to string and append to the result.
Following is C implementation of the above approach.
Note: The program performs similar operation if instead of float, a double type is taken.
This article is contributed by Jayasantosh Samal. Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- How to count set bits in a floating point number in C?
- Rounding Floating Point Number To two Decimal Places in C and C++
- Write a one line C function to round floating point numbers
- Can we use % operator on floating point numbers?
- Floating Point Operations & Associativity in C, C++ and Java
- Precision of floating point numbers in C++ (floor(), ceil(), trunc(), round() and setprecision())
- C++ Floating Point Manipulation (fmod(), remainder(), remquo() ... in cmath)
- C Program to Multiply two Floating Point Numbers
- Problem in comparing Floating point numbers and how to compare them correctly?
- Rotation of a point about another point in C++
- sizeof() for Floating Constant in C
- What is the best way in C to convert a number to a string?
- Equation of straight line passing through a given point which bisects it into two equal line segments
- How to convert C style strings to std::string and vice versa?
- gcvt() | Convert float value to string in C
- How to convert a single character to string in C++?
- Convert character array to string in C++
- C++ Program to Convert String to Integer
- Minimum cost to convert given string to consist of only vowels
- Convert string to char array in C++
Improved By : shubham_singh