The problem is to convert the given binary number (represented as string) to its equivalent octal number. The input could be very large and may not fit even into unsigned long long int.
Input : 110001110 Output : 616 Input : 1111001010010100001.010110110011011 Output : 1712241.26633
The idea is to consider the binary input as a string of characters and then follow the steps:
- Get length of substring to the left and right of the decimal point(‘.’) as left_len and right_len.
- If left_len is not a multiple of 3 add min number of 0’s in the beginning to make length of left substring a multiple of 3.
- If right_len is not a multiple of 3 add min number of 0’s in the end to make length of right substring a multiple of 3.
- Now, from the left extract one by one substrings of length 3 and add its corresponding octal code to the result.
- If in between a decimal(‘.’) is encountered then add it to the result.
Octal number = 1712241.26633
Time Complexity: O(n), where n is the length of string.
This article is contributed by Ayush Jauhari. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Program to Convert Octal Number to Binary Number
- Program to Convert Hexadecimal to Octal
- Convert decimal fraction to binary number
- Convert a binary number to hexadecimal number
- Check if Decimal representation of an Octal number is divisible by 7
- Convert Binary fraction to Decimal
- Python program to convert floating to binary
- Minimum swaps required to convert one binary string to another
- Program for decimal to octal conversion
- Program for octal to decimal conversion
- Decimal to octal conversion with minimum use of arithmetic operators
- Convert a number into negative base representation
- Count number of bits to be flipped to convert A to B
- Count number of trailing zeros in Binary representation of a number using Bitset
- Check if the binary representation of a number has equal number of 0s and 1s in blocks