Conversion of J-K Flip-Flop into T Flip-Flop
Prerequisite – Flip-flop
1. J-K Flip-Flop: JK flip-flop shares the initials of Jack Kilby, who won a Nobel prize for his fabrication of the world’s first integrated circuit, some people speculate that this type of flip flop was named after him because a flip-flop was the first device that Kilby build when he was developing integrated circuits. J-K flip-flop is the gated version of SR flip-flop with an addition of extra input i.e. clock input. It prevents invalid output conditions when both the inputs are at the same value.
2. T Flip-Flop: T flip-flop means Toggle flip-flop. It changes the output on each clock edge and gives an output that is half the frequency of the signal to the input.
Conversion of J-K Flip-Flop into T Flip-Flop:
- Step-1: Construct the characteristic table of T flip-flop and excitation table of the J-K flip-flop.
- Step-2: Using the K map, find the boolean expression for J and K in terms of T.
J = T K = T
- Step-3: Construct the circuit diagram for the conversion of the J-K flip-flop into a T flip-flop.