The steps will be as follows:-
- Setting up a spring-boot app
- Creating a dockerfile
- Building project jar
- Building docker image by using dockerfile
- Running image
Let’s examine the above steps in detail:
- Setting up spring-boot app: So first of all, use spring initializer to have a very basic spring-boot greetings project with the help of a web dependency.
The project includes a simple rest controller with a simple greeting message.
To run this app use command:
- Creating A Dockerfile: A dockerfile is a text document which contains commands read by docker and is executed in order to build a container image.
- FROM: The keyword FROM tells Docker to use a given base image as a build base. In this case Java8 is used as base image with jdk-alpine as tag. A tag can be thought as a version.
- COPY: copying .jar file to the build image inside /usr/app.
- WORKDIR: The WORKDIR instruction sets the working directory for any RUN, CMD, ENTRYPOINT, COPY and ADD instructions that follow in the Dockerfile. Here the workdir is switched to /usr/app
- RUN: The RUN instruction runs any command mentioned.
- ENTRYPOINT: Tells Docker how to run application. Making array to run spring-boot app as java -jar .jar.
- Building Project Jar: Now run mvn install to build a .jar file in target directory.
- Building Docker Image: Excecute command docker build -t spring-boot-docker-demo .
- Run the image build: Execute command docker run spring-boot-docker-demo
Github repository: Spring Boot Docker Demo
- Introduction to Spring Boot
- How to encrypt passwords in a Spring Boot project using Jasypt
- Creating a Dual Boot System with Linux and Windows
- Java instanceof and its applications
- Android Boot Process
- Creating Frames using Swings in Java
- Creating Sequential Stream from an Iterator in Java
- Java Swing | Creating a Toast Message
- Pinging an IP address in Java | Set 2 (By creating sub-process)
- Spring Dependency Injection with Example
- Introduction to Spring Framework
- Creating Sheets in Excel File in Java using Apache POI
- Creating an Asynchronous Multithreaded chat Application in Java
- Java Swing | Creating Custom Message Dialogs
- Creating a Cell at specific position in Excel file using Java
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.