Following questions have been asked in GATE CS 2008 exam.
1) What is the maximum size of data that the application layer can pass on to the TCP layer below?
(A) Any size
(B) 2^16 bytes-size of TCP header
(C) 2^16 bytes
(D) 1500 bytes
Application layer can send any size of data. There is no limit defined by standards. The lower layers divides the data if needed.
2) A client process P needs to make a TCP connection to a server process S. Consider the following situation: the server process S executes a socket(), a bind() and a listen() system call in that order, following which it is preempted. Subsequently, the client process P executes a socket() system call followed by connect() system call to connect to the server process S. The server process has not executed any accept() system call. Which one of the following events could take place?
(A) connect () system call returns successfully
(B) connect () system call blocks
(C) connect () system call returns an error
(D) connect () system call results in a core dump
Since accept() call is not executed then connect () gets no response for a time stamp to wait & then return no response server error.
3) A computer on a 10Mbps network is regulated by a token bucket. The token bucket is filled at a rate of 2Mbps. It is initially filled to capacity with 16Megabits. What is the maximum duration for which the computer can transmit at the full 10Mbps?
(A) 1.6 seconds
(B) 2 seconds
(C) 5 seconds
(D) 8 seconds
New tokens are added at the rate of r bytes/sec which is 2Mbps in the given question. Capacity of the token bucket (b) = 16 Mbits Maximum possible transmission rate (M) = 10Mbps So the maximum burst time = b/(M-r) = 16/(10-2) = 2 seconds
In the above formula, r is subtracted from M to calculate the maximum burst time. The reason for this subtraction is, new tokens are added at the rate of r while transmission happens at maximum transmission rate M.
Please see GATE Corner for all previous year paper/solutions/explanations, syllabus, important dates, notes, etc.
Please write comments if you find any of the answers/explanations incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topics discussed above
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Computer Networks | Set 1
- Computer Networks | Set 2
- Computer Networks | Set 5
- Computer Networks | Set 3
- Computer Networks | Set 4
- Computer Networks | Set 12
- Computer Networks | Set 6
- Computer Networks | Set 7
- Computer Networks | Set 9
- Computer Networks | Set 10
- Computer Networks | Set 11
- Commonly asked Computer Networks Interview Questions | Set 1
- Computer Networks | Set 14
- Computer Networks | Set 13
- Last Minute Notes - Computer Networks
- Congestion Control in Computer Networks
- Error Detection in Computer Networks
- Computer Networks | IP Addressing | Question 5
- Computer Networks | IP Addressing | Question 6
- Line Configuration in Computer Networks