Following questions have been asked in GATE CS 2005 exam.
1) Packets of the same session may be routed through different paths in:
(a) TCP, but not UDP
(b) TCP and UDP
(c) UDP, but not TCP
(d) Neither TCP nor UDP
Packet is the Network layer Protocol Data Unit (PDU). TCP and UDP are Transport layer protocols. Packets of same session may be routed through different routes. Most networks don’t use static routing, but use some form of adaptive routing where the paths used to route two packets for same session may be different due to congestion on some link, or some other reason.
2) The address resolution protocol (ARP) is used for:
(a) Finding the IP address from the DNS
(b) Finding the IP address of the default gateway
(c) Finding the IP address that corresponds to a MAC address
(d) Finding the MAC address that corresponds to an IP address
Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) is a request and reply protocol used to find MAC address from IP address.
3) The maximum window size for data transmission using the selective reject protocol with n-bit frame sequence numbers is:
(c) 2^n – 1
In Selective Reject (or Selective Repeat), maximum size of window must be half of the maximum sequence number.
4) In a network of LANs connected by bridges, packets are sent from one LAN to another through intermediate bridges. Since more than one path may exist between two LANs, packets may have to be routed through multiple bridges. Why is the spanning tree algorithm used for bridge-routing?
(a) For shortest path routing between LANs
(b) For avoiding loops in the routing paths
(c) For fault tolerance
(d) For minimizing collisions
The main idea for using Spanning Trees is to avoid loops. See Spanning Tree Protocol for more details.
Please see GATE Corner for all previous year paper/solutions/explanations, syllabus, important dates, notes, etc.
Please write comments if you find any of the answers/explanations incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topics discussed above
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Computer Networks | Set 1
- Computer Networks | Set 2
- Computer Networks | Set 3
- Computer Networks | Set 4
- Computer Networks | Set 12
- Computer Networks | Set 6
- Computer Networks | Set 7
- Computer Networks | Set 8
- Computer Networks | Set 9
- Computer Networks | Set 10
- Computer Networks | Set 11
- Commonly asked Computer Networks Interview Questions | Set 1
- Computer Networks | Set 14
- Computer Networks | Set 13
- Last Minute Notes - Computer Networks
- Congestion Control in Computer Networks
- Error Detection in Computer Networks
- Computer Networks | IP Addressing | Question 5
- Computer Networks | IP Addressing | Question 6
- Line Configuration in Computer Networks