Routers is a digital appliance in our daily life. The performance of a router has a great influence on our Wi-Fi online experience, so choosing a right router is very important. Router connects multiple network and forwards packets to other network.
1. Single Band Router:
- It is limited to just one frequency band and is also called “Wireless-N”.
- Single Band routers on a 2.4 GHz band offer theoretical speeds of up to 800 Mbps.Internet service limitation being an example.
- The user may encounter frequent connection problems thus speed and flexibility of Wi-fi is affected.
- Modern features like Device Prioritization and app based monitoring is not supprted by Single band routers.
- Range of Single Band Router is shorter and low signal strength.
- Cost is economical and thus is most suitable for smaller home.
Single Band Router are used in:
- Web Surfing
- Online chatting
- Viewing photos
2. Dual Band Router:
- A 2.4 GHz Dual band routers uses 5 GHz of frequency band.
- It has a relative better speed and longer range when it is compared to Single Band router.
- Dual band routers support the many of the modern hardware devices by providing more stability and range.
- Amount of connected device has an impact on speed of Wi-fi, several of them might reduce speed a little bit.
- Automatic switching is possible between bands.
- Cost is expensive and thus is most suitable for larger home.
Dual Band Router are used in:
- HD Streaming
- Large File Transfer
- Gaming applications
3. Tri Band Router:
- Tri Band Routers support a 2.4 GHz and two 5GHz frequency band.
- There is a ease of connecting as many devices as possible without negatively affecting the Wi-Fi speed.
- Bandwidth increases three times due to the three separate Wi-Fi band.
- Efficient handling of multiple devices and faster file transfer is a result of high CPU speed in the Tri band routers.
- f you don’t have a lot of 5 GHz-compatible Wi-Fi devices, the upgrade might not be too noticeable, a extra 5 Ghz here acts as an extra LAN.
- Cost is highest when compared to Single and Dual Band Routers.
Tri Band Router are used in:
- Streaming Device
- Online gaming
- Multiple Devices
Following factors must be considered while choosing a router:
- Required network speed required
- Application scenario
- Compaitable devices
If the requirement corresponds for a small home then a lower cost Single Band Router can be used. Whereas, for larger area and to optimize the internet speed at home/office a Dual Band Router or Tri Band Router can be used however compatibility issue may arise.
- Computer Networks | Set 1
- Computer Networks | Set 2
- Computer Networks | Set 5
- Computer Networks | Set 3
- Computer Networks | Set 4
- Computer Networks | Set 12
- Computer Networks | Set 6
- Computer Networks | Set 7
- Computer Networks | Set 8
- Computer Networks | Set 9
- Computer Networks | Set 10
- Computer Networks | Set 11
- Last Minute Notes - Computer Networks
- Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) | Computer Networks
- Commonly asked Computer Networks Interview Questions | Set 1
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.