Prerequisite – Classification of Routing Algorithms
- It is a dynamic routing algorithm in which each router computes distance between itself and each possible destination i.e. its immediate neighbors.
- The router share its knowledge about the whole network to its neighbors and accordingly updates table based on its neighbors.
- The sharing of information with the neighbors takes place at regular intervals.
- It makes use of Bellman Ford Algorithm for making routing tables.
- Problems – Count to infinity problem which can be solved by splitting horizon.
– Good news spread fast and bad news spread slowly.
– Persistent looping problem i.e. loop will be there forever.
- It is a dynamic routing algorithm in which each router shares knowledge of its neighbors with every other router in the network.
- A router sends its information about its neighbors only to all the routers through flooding.
- Information sharing takes place only whenever there is a change.
- It makes use of Dijkastra’s Algorithm for making routing tables.
- Problems – Heavy traffic due to flooding of packets.
– Flooding can result in infinite looping which can be solved by using Time to leave (TTL) field.
Comparison between Distance Vector Routing and Link State Routing:
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.Practice Tags :
- Differences between TCP and UDP
- Asynchronous serial data transfer
- Computer Network | Bit Stuffing
- Bit stuffing using Java | Computer Networks
- Computer Network | Difference between layer-2 and layer-3 switches
- Computer Network | Challenge Handshake Authentication Protocol (CHAP)
- Recovering password in Cisco routers
- Computer Network | Algorithm for Dynamic Time out timer Calculation
- Ping in C
- Computer Network | Token Ring frame format