An Information system is a combination of hardware and software and telecommunication networks that people build to collect, create and distribute useful data, typically in an organisational, It defines the flow of information within the system. The objective of an information system is to provide appropriate information to the user, to gather the data, processing of the data and communicate information to the user of the system.
Components of the information system are as follows:
1. Computer Hardware:
Physical equipment used for input, output and processing. What hardware to use it depends upon the type and size of the organisation. It consists of input, an output device, operating system, processor, and media devices. This also includes computer peripheral devices.
2. Computer Software:
The programs/ application program used to control and coordinate the hardware components. It is used for analysing and processing of the data. These programs include a set of instruction used for processing information.
Software is further classified into 3 types:
- System Software
- Application Software
Data are the raw facts and figures that are unorganised that are and later processed to generate information. Softwares are used for organising and serving data to the user, managing physical storage of media and virtual resources. As the hardware can’t work without software the same as software needs data for processing. Data are managed using Database management system.
Database software is used for efficient access for required data, and to manage knowledge bases.
- Networks resources refer to the telecommunication networks like the intranet, extranet and the internet.
- These resources facilitate the flow of information in the organisation.
- Networks consists of both the physicals devises such as networks cards, routers, hubs and cables and software such as operating systems, web servers, data servers and application servers.
- Telecommunications networks consist of computers, communications processors, and other devices interconnected by communications media and controlled by software.
- Networks include communication media, and Network Support.
5. Human Resources:
It is associated with the manpower required to run and manage the system. People are the end user of the information system, end-user use information produced for their own purpose, the main purpose of the information system is to benefit the end user. The end user can be accountants, engineers, salespersons, customers, clerks, or managers etc. People are also responsible to develop and operate information systems. They include systems analysts, computer operators, programmers, and other clerical IS personnel, and managerial techniques.
- Difference between Management Information System (MIS) and Decision Support System (DSS)
- Management Information System (MIS)
- Types Of Information System
- Resources of Information System
- Information System and Security
- Management Information System (MIS) Models
- Need Of Information Security
- What is Information Security?
- Information Security | Integrity
- Routing Information Protocol (RIP)
- Threats to Information Security
- Information Security | Confidentiality
- Digital Forensics in Information Security
- Risk Management for Information Security | Set-1
- Risk Management for Information Security | Set-2
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.