Structured Query Language (SQL) is a standard Database language which is used to create, maintain and retrieve the relational database. The advantages of SQL are:
- SQL could be a high level language that has a larger degree of abstraction than procedural languages.
- It enables the systems personnel end-users to deal with a number of database management systems where it is available.
- Portability. Such porting could be required when the underlying DBMS needs to be upgraded or changed.
- SQL specifies what’s needed and not however it ought to be done.
Introduction to PL/SQL:
PL/SQL is a block structured language that enables developers to combine the power of SQL with procedural statements.All the statements of a block are passed to oracle engine all at once which increases processing speed and decreases the traffic. PL/SQL stands for “Procedural language extensions to SQL.” PL/SQL is a database-oriented programming language that extends SQL with procedural capabilities. It was developed by Oracle Corporation within the early 90’s to boost the capabilities of SQL.
PL/SQL adds selective (i.e. if…then…else…) and iterative constructs (ie. loops) to SQL. PL/SQL is most helpful to put in writing triggers and keep procedures. Stored procedures square measure units of procedural code keep during a compiled type inside the info. Advantages of PL/SQL are as following below:
- Block structures: It consists of blocks of code, which can be nested within each other. Each block forms a unit of a task or a logical module. PL/SQL blocks are often keep within the info and reused.
- Procedural language capability: It consists of procedural language constructs like conditional statements (if else statements) and loops like (FOR loops).
- Better performance: PL/SQL engine processes multiple SQL statements at the same time as one block, thereby reducing network traffic.
- Error handling: PL/SQL handles errors or exceptions effectively throughout the execution of a PL/SQL program.
Once associate degree exception is caught, specific actions can be taken depending upon the type of the exception or it can be displayed to the user with a message.
Comparisons of SQL and PLSQL:
|It is a database Structured Query Language.||It is a database programming language using SQL.|
|Data variable are not available||Data variable are available.|
|No Supported Control Structures.||Control Structures are available Like, For loop, While loop.|
|Query performs single operation.||PLSQL block performs Group of Operation as single bloack.|
|SQL is declarative language.||PLSQL is procedural language.|
|SQL can be embedded in PLSQL.||PLSQL can be embedded in SQL.|
|It is directly interact with the database server.||It is not interact with the database server.|
|It is Data oriented language.||It is application oriented language.|
|It is used to write queries, DDL and DML statements.||It is accustomed write program blocks, functions, procedures triggers,and packages.|
- Comparisons between Azure Vs AWS
- Comparisons between Oracle vs SQL Server
- Comparisons between DELETE vs DROP in SQL
- Comparisons between Data Warehousing v/s Data Mining
- Data Mining | Set 2
- Difference between a Data Analyst and a Data Scientist
- Difference between background and background-color
- What is the difference between parseInt() and Number()?
- Difference between WiFi and WiMax
- Difference Between Web server and Application server
- Different types of MySQL Triggers (with examples)
- Difference between ISO9000 and SEI-CMM
- Different types of Procedures in MySQL
- Difference between Management Information System (MIS) and Decision Support System (DSS)
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.