Java is one of the most popular and widely used programming language and platform. A platform is an environment that helps to develop and run programs written in any programming language.
Java is fast, reliable and secure. From desktop to web applications, scientific supercomputers to gaming consoles, cell phones to the Internet, Java is used in every nook and corner.
Here we are comparing 3 other languages (Python, C++ and Ruby) with Java.
- Python is a high-level language. It fully supports object-oriented programming. Python is not a pure object-oriented language.
- Python is an interpreted language whereas Java is not an interpreted language, it is a compiled language.
- Python is a scripting language whereas JAVA is a low-level implementation language.
- Python is easy to use whereas JAVA is not as simple as Python. Programmers prefer to use python instead of Java because python contains less line of code whereas Java is just opposite to it.
- Python programs are much shorter than JAVA programs.
- Python is widely used in companies for building the projects as its programs are shorter whereas JAVA is rarely used in companies for projects because it is difficult to use.
- Python supports dynamic typing which is very useful for the programmers because they need to write less code because of which their time is saved and which is user friendly as well as programmer friendly. But in the case of JAVA, developers are required to define the type of each variable before using it which consumes programmer’s lots of time.
- Many large organizations like Google, Yahoo, NASA, etc. are making use of Python. But Python programs are generally expected to run slower than Java programs.
- Java has much better library support for some of the use cases than Python which is a biggest advantage of JAVA.
- Java was basically derived from C++.
- C++ is a both procedural as well as object oriented programming language whereas Java is pure object oriented language.
- Both the languages have different objectives which means it has many differences too.
- Java support automatic garbage collection whereas C++ does not.
- The main objective of C++ is to design a system programming.
- Java doesn’t support operator overloading but C++ do supports it.
- C++ also extends the C programming language whereas Java is basically created to support the network computing.
- Java doesn’t support structures and unions where C++ does support it.
- Java is much slower than C++ in terms of execution.
- C++ libraries are simple and also they are robust. It also provides container and associative arrays. But Java contains a powerful cross-platform library.
- In Java there is an automatic garbage collection whereas this is not the case in C++. In C++ all objects are destroyed manually with the help of the code.
- Ruby and Java are object-oriented languages and also they are strongly typed.
- Java is statically typed whereas Ruby is dynamically typed.
- Both the languages have different method for executing the code. Java first converts the code into machine language so that it can be understood by it and because of this Java code runs faster than Ruby’s code.
- Both Java and Ruby provide inheritance and they both have public, private, and protected methods.
The functions in Ruby takes less number of code lines than the Java because of which Ruby is preferred first by the developers and programmers.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important Java Foundation and Collections concepts with the Fundamentals of Java and Java Collections Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.