In this article, we will discuss how we can compare to strings lexicographically in Java.
One solution is to use Java compareTo() method. The method compareTo() is used for comparing two strings lexicographically in Java. Each character of both the strings is converted into a Unicode value for comparison.
int compareTo(String str) :
It returns the following values:
- if (string1 > string2) it returns a positive value.
- if both the strings are equal lexicographically
i.e.(string1 == string2) it returns 0.
- if (string1 < string2) it returns a negative value.
Comparing strings with compareto: 0 -1 17
Refer How to Initialize and Compare Strings in Java? for more details.
How to compare two strings without using library function?
1. Input two strings string 1 and string 2. 2. for (int i = 0; i < str1.length() && i < str2.length(); i ++) (Loop through each character of both strings comparing them until one of the string terminates): a. If unicode value of both the characters is same then continue; b. If unicode value of character of string 1 and unicode value of string 2 is different then return (str1[i]-str2[i]) 3. if length of string 1 is less than string2 return str2[str1.length()] else return str1[str2.length()]
Below is the implementation of above algorithm.
-9 0 9 -8 8
This article is contributed by Ankit Jain . If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Compare two Strings in Java
- How to Initialize and Compare Strings in Java?
- C++ program to compare two Strings using Operator Overloading
- How to compare two arrays in Java?
- Compare Dates in Java
- Java Integer compare() method
- How compare() method works in Java
- Short compare() method in Java
- Double compare() Method in Java with Examples
- Boolean compare() method in Java with Examples
- Float compare() Method in Java with Examples
- Byte compare() method in Java with examples
- Java | ==, equals(), compareTo(), equalsIgnoreCase() and compare()
- Java Guava | Booleans.compare() method with Examples
- Java Guava | Ints.compare() method with Examples
Improved By : GeekCode1