This post is second set of Commonly Asked C Programming Interview Questions | Set 1
What are main characteristics of C language?
C is a procedural language. The main features of C language include low-level access to memory, simple set of keywords, and clean style. These features make it suitable for system programming like operating system or compiler development.
What is difference between i++ and ++i?
1) The expression ‘i++’ returns the old value and then increments i. The expression ++i increments the value and returns new value.
2) Precedence of postfix ++ is higher than that of prefix ++.
3) Associativity of postfix ++ is left to right and associativity of prefix ++ is right to left.
4) In C++, ++i can be used as l-value, but i++ cannot be. In C, they both cannot be used as l-value.
See Difference between ++*p, *p++ and *++p for more details.
What is l-value?
l-value or location value refers to an expression that can be used on left side of assignment operator. For example in expression “a = 3”, a is l-value and 3 is r-value.
l-values are of two types:
“nonmodifiable l-value” represent a l-value that can not be modified. const variables are “nonmodifiable l-value”.
“modifiable l-value” represent a l-value that can be modified.
Refer lvalue and rvalue in C language for details.
What is the difference between array and pointer?
See Array vs Pointer
How to write your own sizeof operator?
See Implement your own sizeof for more details.
How will you print numbers from 1 to 100 without using loop?
We can use recursion for this purpose.
What is volatile keyword?
The volatile keyword is intended to prevent the compiler from applying any optimizations on objects that can change in ways that cannot be determined by the compiler.
Objects declared as volatile are omitted from optimization because their values can be changed by code outside the scope of current code at any time. See Understanding “volatile” qualifier in C for more details.
Can a variable be both const and volatile?
yes, the const means that the variable cannot be assigned a new value. The value can be changed by other code or pointer. For example the following program works fine.
We will soon be publishing more sets of commonly asked C programming questions.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Commonly Asked C Programming Interview Questions | Set 1
- Commonly Asked Java Programming Interview Questions | Set 2
- Commonly Asked C Programming Interview Questions | Set 3
- Commonly Asked C++ Interview Questions | Set 1
- Commonly Asked OOP Interview Questions | Set 1
- Commonly Asked C++ Interview Questions | Set 2
- Commonly Asked Algorithm Interview Questions | Set 1
- Commonly Asked Data Structure Interview Questions | Set 1
- Commonly Asked Questions in Goldman Sachs Interviews
- Amazon’s most frequently asked interview questions | Set 2
- 10 Most asked Questions from Java Programmers
- MAQ Software most Frequently Asked Questions
- Frequently asked questions for Java Developer Position from a fresher
- Frequently Asked Questions regarding Placements
- Commonly used String functions in C/C++ with Examples
- Top 20 Dynamic Programming Interview Questions
- Top 10 algorithms in Interview Questions | Set 2
Improved By : work_like_hell