A typical computer has many registers and we need to transfer the information between these registers. A way to transfer the information is using the common bus system. In this article we shall discuss the common bus system using multiplexers.
Let’s discuss the common bus system with multiplexers.
The construction of this bus system for 4 registers is shown above. The bus consists of 4×1 multiplexers with 4 inputs and 1 output and 4 registers with bits numbered 0 to 3. There are 2 select inputs S0 and S1 which are connected to the select inputs of the multiplexers.
The output 1 of register A is connected to input 0 of MUX 1 and similarly other connections are made as shown in the diagram. The data transferred to the bus depends upon the select lines. A table for the various combinations of select lines is shown below.
|Select Lines combination S1S0||Register Selected|
As we can see that when S1S0=00, register A is selected because on 00 the 0 data inputs of all the multiplexers are applied to the common bus.
Since the 0 data inputs of all the multiplexers receive the inputs from the register A, thus register A gets selected. Similarly for other combinations of S1S0 other register are selected.
No. of multiplexers needed = No. of bits in each register
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Lowest Common Ancestor for a Set of Nodes in a Rooted Tree
- Real Time Operating System (RTOS)
- Levels of Memory in Operating System
- Specification of Digital System
- Features of Distributed Operating System
- Implementation of Digital System
- Characteristics and Benefits of Digital System
- Decimal Number System
- Compare file system in Windows and Linux
- Concurrent Processes in Operating System
- Time Sharing Operating System
- What is CDFS (Compact Disc File System)?
- Multiport Memory Multiprocessor System
- Deadlock Ignorance in Operating System
- File Processing System (FPS)
- Multiplots in Python using Matplotlib
- Finding Median of unsorted Array in linear time using C++ STL
- Cartoon animation loader using CSS
- How to Resize Rotation Radius using CSS ?
- Plot the magnitude spectrum in Python using Matplotlib
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.