Given an array of positive integers arr and a sum x, find all unique combinations in arr where the sum is equal to x. The same repeated number may be chosen from arr unlimited number of times. Elements in a combination (a1, a2, …, ak) must be printed in non-descending order. (ie, a1 <= a2 <= … <= ak).
The combinations themselves must be sorted in ascending order, i.e., the combination with smallest first element should be printed first. If there is no combination possible the print "Empty" (without quotes).
Input : arr = 2, 4, 6, 8 x = 8 Output : [2, 2, 2, 2] [2, 2, 4] [2, 6] [4, 4] 
Since the problem is to get all the possible results, not the best or the number of result, thus we don’t need to consider DP(dynamic programming), recursion is needed to handle it.
We should use the following algorithm.
1. Sort the array(non-decreasing). 2. First remove all the duplicates from array. 3. Then use recursion and backtracking to solve the problem. (A) If at any time sub-problem sum == 0 then add that array to the result (vector of vectors). (B) Else if sum if negative then ignore that sub-problem. (C) Else insert the present array in that index to the current vector and call the function with sum = sum-ar[index] and index = index, then pop that element from current index (backtrack) and call the function with sum = sum and index = index+1
Below is C++ implementation of above steps.
( 2 2 2 2 ) ( 2 2 4 ) ( 2 6 ) ( 4 4 ) ( 8 )
This article is contributed by Aditya Nihal Kumar Singh. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Amazon Interview Experience | SDE-1 Bangalore
- Microsoft Interview Experience (2-3 years Experienced)
- Amazon ACMS Interview Experience | On-Campus
- Amazon Interview Experience for SDE-1
- How to Prepare for Microsoft Software Development Engineering Interview?
- Frequency of an integer in the given array using Divide and Conquer
- Print all possible combinations of words from Dictionary using Trie
- Least Common Ancestor of any number of nodes in Binary Tree
- Find sum of f(s) for all the chosen sets from the given array
- Build a segment tree for N-ary rooted tree
- Maximal Clique Problem | Recursive Solution
- Find all cliques of size K in an undirected graph
- Minimum time to burn a Tree starting from a Leaf node
- Count possible combinations of pairs with adjacent elements from first N numbers