Prerequisite : Cloud Computing
In today’s competitive business world, cloud technology is capable enough to provide cloud services anytime and anywhere. In the current time cloud computing whether we like it or not but it is present here and will be also for our benefit and the benefit of the society at large. It has improved the way of operating the business activities, it has reduced the cost of conducting business, it has increased productivity, and on a process to make life of people more easier and it continues.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
Where we are living with cloud technology, there the point cloud migration comes into the picture. So let’s know more about this cloud migration by going a little bit deep into this migration concept.
Cloud Migration :
Cloud Migration is a transformation from old traditional business operations to digital business operations and the process refers to moving the digital business operations to cloud. That means data, applications or other business elements are moved into a cloud computing environment. For example moving data and applications from a local, on-premises data center to the cloud.
On-premises to cloud migration process :
Every business starting from small to large organizations follows slightly different process for cloud migrations. Some of the common elements which are considered before cloud migration are
- Evaluation of requirement and performance
- Selection of cloud provider
- Calculation of operational costs
The basic steps which are followed as follows
- Establishing migration goals
- Creating a security strategy
- Replicating existing database
- Move business intelligence
- Then switch production from on-premises to cloud
Cloud Migration Strategy :
5 R’s represents the cloud migration strategy.
- Rehost : It refers to take the application to the new hosted cloud environment by selecting IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service).
- Refactor : It refers to reuse the application code and frameworks and running the application on a PaaS (Platform as a Service).
- Revise : It refers to expanding code base and then deploying it either by rehosting or refactoring.
- Rebuild : It refers to re-architecting the application from the beginning up on a PaaS provider’s platform.
- Replace : It refers to replacing the old application with a new built SaaS (software as a Service).
Benefits of cloud migration :
- Scalability: Scalable enough to support various workloads and users. So it offers to expand without impacting performance.
- Performance: Moving into cloud provides higher performance and customer satisfaction as compared to traditional business processes.
- Productivity: As it manages the complexity of infrastructure, so improved productivity is more focused with a continuous process of growing business.
- Flexibility: It allows to use the services flexibly as well as from any where and any time cloud services can be accessed as per demand/need.
- Cost: Moving into cloud technology offers reduced cost in managing, operating, upgrading and maintaining IT operations or infrastructure.
- Security: Security is a major concern which is taken care by cloud service providers.
- Profitability: As it follows pay per use model so it delivers a greater profitability to the customers.
- Agility: It is flexible enough to go with rapid changes in technology and it provides producing newer and advanced setup quickly as per requirement.
- Recovery: It provides backup and recovery solutions to businesses with less time and upfront investment.
Cloud migration Challenges :
- Moving a database is a difficult task as there are large amounts of data involved and mostly transferred over internet.
- After data is transferred into cloud database, another problem is to check the transferred data is intact and secure as well as there is no data loss has been occurred during this process.
- During migration a problem arises as some of operations or data are already moved into cloud and some are still available on-premises. So ensuring current system is operational and ensuring on going cloud migration process is taking place correctly needs a careful attention.
- Interoperability becomes a problem as it is not easy to establish a perfect communication in between existing applications and newer cloud environments.
- Using cloud services, getting good with newer cloud procedures, managing resources and cloud activities requires trained IT professionals who can work in the cloud eco system.