Given two arrays a and b, we need to build an array c such that every element c[i] of c contains a value from a which is greater than b[i] and is closest to b[i]. If a has no greater element than b[i], then value of c[i] is -1. All arrays are of same size.
Input : a = [ 2, 6, 5, 7, 0] b = [1, 3, 2, 5, 8] Output : c = [2, 5, 5, 7, -1] Input : a = [ 2, 6, 5, 7, 0] b = [0, 2, 3, 5, 1] Output : c = [2, 5, 5, 6, 2]
Naive Approach : For each element in b, we traverse the whole of a and try to find the closest greater element, and save the result for each search. This will cost time complexity of O(n^2).
Efficient Approach : Sort the array a, and for each b[i], apply binary search in sorted array a. For this method our time complexity will be O(nlogn).
Note: For closest greater element we can use upper_bound().
Below is the implementation.
Result = 5 2 1 6 5 -1
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Closest greater or same value on left side for every element in array
- Find closest greater value for every element in array
- Find closest smaller value for every element in array
- Find closest value for every element in array
- Distance of closest zero to every element
- Maximum possible XOR of every element in an array with another array
- Replace every element with the least greater element on its right
- Rearrange an array such that every odd indexed element is greater than it previous
- Adding elements of an array until every element becomes greater than or equal to k
- Count greater elements on the left side of every array element
- Print X array elements closest to the Kth smallest element in the array
- Maximize sum of remaining elements after every removal of the array half with greater sum
- Largest element smaller than current element on left for every element in Array
- Length of longest subarray in which elements greater than K are more than elements not greater than K
- Smallest subarray of size greater than K with sum greater than a given value
- Permute two arrays such that sum of every pair is greater or equal to K
- Given a sorted array and a number x, find the pair in array whose sum is closest to x
- Find just strictly greater element from first array for each element in second array
- Find the Sub-array with sum closest to 0
- Find closest number in array
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : sanjeev2552