Given two arrays a and b, we need to build an array c such that every element c[i] of c contains a value from a which is greater than b[i] and is closest to b[i]. If a has no greater element than b[i], then value of c[i] is -1. All arrays are of same size.
Input : a = [ 2, 6, 5, 7, 0] b = [1, 3, 2, 5, 8] Output : c = [2, 5, 5, 7, -1] Input : a = [ 2, 6, 5, 7, 0] b = [0, 2, 3, 5, 1] Output : c = [2, 5, 5, 6, 2]
Naive Approach : For each element in b, we traverse the whole of a and try to find the closest greater element, and save the result for each search. This will cost time complexity of O(n^2).
Efficient Approach : Sort the array a, and for each b[i], apply binary search in sorted array a. For this method our time complexity will be O(nlogn).
Note: For closest greater element we can use upper_bound().
Below is the implementation.
Result = 5 2 1 6 5 -1
GeeksforGeeks has prepared a complete interview preparation course with premium videos, theory, practice problems, TA support and many more features. Please refer Placement 100 for details
- Find closest greater value for every element in array
- Closest greater or same value on left side for every element in array
- Find just strictly greater element from first array for each element in second array
- Find closest value for every element in array
- Count elements in first Array with absolute difference greater than K with an element in second Array
- Find closest smaller value for every element in array
- Count of elements in first Array greater than second Array with each element considered only once
- Find Array formed by adding each element of given array with largest element in new array to its left
- Smallest element greater than X not present in the array
- Count of greater elements for each element in the Array
- Elements greater than the previous and next element in an Array
- Largest element smaller than current element on left for every element in Array
- Rearrange an array such that every odd indexed element is greater than it previous
- Adding elements of an array until every element becomes greater than or equal to k
- First strictly greater element in a sorted array in Java
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : sanjeev2552