MAC protocol is the first protocol layer above the Physical Layer in ad hoc .The primary task of any MAC protocol is to control the access of the nodes to shared medium.
Classification of MAC protocols :
These are as following below.
- Contention-based protocols without reservation/scheduling –
- Bandwidth are not reserved.
- No guarantees.
- Contention-based protocols with reservation mechanisms –
- Bandwidth is reserved for transmission.
- Guarantees can be given.
- Contention-based protocols with scheduling mechanisms –
- Distributed scheduling is done between nodes.
- Guarantees can be given.
- Other protocols –
- Combine multiple features of other protocols.
- It can also use a completely new approach.
1. Contention-based protocols without reservation/scheduling –
- Sender-initiated protocols:
The transmission of packets are initiated by the sender node.
- Single-channel sender initiated. For example, MACAW, FAMA.
- Multiple-channel sender initiated protocols. For example, BTMA, DBTMA, ICSMA.
- Receiver-initiated protocols:
The connection is initiated by the receiver node. For example, RI-BTMA, MACA-BI, MARCH.
2. Contention-based protocols with reservation mechanisms –
- Synchronous protocols:
All node are kept synchronized. For example, D-PRMA, CATA, HRMA, SRMA/PA, FPRP.
- Asynchronous protocols:
Relative time information is used to achieve effecting reservations. For example, MACA/PR, RTMAC..
Contention-based protocols with scheduling mechanisms –
All the nodes are treated equally and no node is get deprived of bandwidth. For example, Eg. DPS, DWOP, DLPS.
Other protocols –
These MAC protocols do not strictly fall into any above category. For example, MMAC, MCSMA, PCM, RBAR.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Introduction of MAC Address in Computer Network
- MAC Filtering in Computer Network
- Extracting MAC address using Python
- IEEE 802.11 Mac Frame
- Difference between MAC Address and IP Address
- MAC Full Form
- Responsibilities and Design issues of MAC Protocol
- MAC Contention based with Reservation D-PRMA
- How to validate MAC address using Regular Expression
- Classification of Computer Network on basis of Architecture
- Classification of Mobile Communication
- Classification of Routing Algorithms
- Protocols in Application Layer
- Routing v/s Routed Protocols in Computer Network
- Sliding Window protocols Summary With Questions
- Controlled Access Protocols in Computer Network
- Multiple Access Protocols in Computer Network
- Classes of Routing Protocols
- Securing Routing Protocols
- Collision-Free Protocols in Computer Network
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.