Given two values m and n, fill a matrix of size ‘m*n’ in spiral (or circular) fashion (clockwise) with natural numbers from 1 to m*n.
Input : m = 4, n = 4 Output : 1 2 3 4 12 13 14 5 11 16 15 6 10 9 8 7 Input : m = 3, n = 4 Output : 1 2 3 4 10 11 12 5 9 8 7 6
The idea is based on Print a given matrix in spiral form. We create a matrix of size m * n and traverse it in spiral fashion. While traversing, we keep track of a variable “val” to fill next value, we increment “val” one by one and put its values in the matrix.
1 2 3 4 12 13 14 5 11 16 15 6 10 9 8 7
Time complexity: O(m * n)
Space complexity: O(m * n)
This article is contributed by Ayush Jauhari. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Convert given Matrix into sorted Spiral Matrix
- Print a given matrix in spiral form
- Print n x n spiral matrix using O(1) extra space
- Print K'th element in spiral form of matrix
- Sum of both diagonals of a spiral odd-order square matrix
- Print a given matrix in reverse spiral form
- Print a matrix in a spiral form starting from a point
- Print a given matrix in counter-clock wise spiral form
- Find the sum of the diagonal elements of the given N X N spiral matrix
- Print a given matrix in spiral form using direction tracking method
- Form a Spiral Matrix from the given Array
- Print matrix elements diagonally in spiral form
- Sort a Matrix in all way increasing order
- Easy way to remember Strassen’s Matrix Equation
- Find a way to fill matrix with 1's and 0's in blank positions
- Construct a Matrix N x N with first N^2 natural numbers for an input N
- Construct a square Matrix whose parity of diagonal sum is same as size of matrix
- Level order traversal in spiral form
- Convert a Binary Tree into Doubly Linked List in spiral fashion
- Find coordinates of a prime number in a Prime Spiral