Given a circle of radius r in 2-D with origin or (0, 0) as center. The task is to find the total lattice points on circumference. Lattice Points are points with coordinates as integers in 2-D space.
Input : r = 5. Output : 12 Below are lattice points on a circle with radius 5 and origin as (0, 0). (0,5), (0,-5), (5,0), (-5,0), (3,4), (-3,4), (-3,-4), (3,-4), (4,3), (-4,3), (-4,-3), (4,-3). are 12 lattice point.
To find lattice points, we basically need to find values of (x, y) which satisfy the equation x2 + y2 = r2.
For any value of (x, y) that satisfies the above equation we actually have total 4 different combination which that satisfy the equation. For example if r = 5 and (3, 4) is a pair which satisfies the equation, there are actually 4 combinations (3, 4) , (-3,4) , (-3,-4) , (3,-4). There is an exception though, in case of (0, r) or (r, 0) there are actually 2 points as there is no negative 0.
// Initialize result as 4 for (r, 0), (-r. 0), // (0, r) and (0, -r) result = 4 Loop for x = 1 to r-1 and do following for every x. If r*r - x*x is a perfect square, then add 4 tor result.
Below is the implementation of above idea.
This article is contributed by Shivam Pradhan (anuj_charm). If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Closest Pair of Points using Divide and Conquer algorithm
- Closest Pair of Points | O(nlogn) Implementation
- Find Simple Closed Path for a given set of points
- Orientation of 3 ordered points
- Count Integral points inside a Triangle
- Number of Integral Points between Two Points
- Non-crossing lines to connect points in a circle
- Count maximum points on same line
- Queries on count of points lie inside a circle
- Check whether a point exists in circle sector or not.
- Pizza cut problem (Or Circle Division by Lines)
- Minimum lines to cover all points
- Program to find area of a circle
- How to check if given four points form a square
- Dynamic Convex hull | Adding Points to an Existing Convex Hull
Improved By : nitin mittal