Checking Internet connectivity using Java can be done using 2 methods:
1) by using getRuntime() method of java Runtime class.
2) by using methods of java URL and URLConnection classes.
#Java Runtime Class:This class is used to interact with java runtime environment (Java virtual machine) in which the application is running. It provides methods/functions to execute a process or a command, invoke garbage collector, get total and free memory in the JVM etc.
#getRuntime():This method of java runtime class returns the runtime object associated with the current java application.
you can learn more about this class here
#Java URL Class:This class provides methods that returns various information like protocol, hostname, file Name, port Number etc of the URL.
#Java URLConnection class:It represents a link between URL and application and can be used to read and write data to the specified resource referred by the URL.
NOTE: Provided method should be run on a local machine and not on an online compiler.
Output by this method will be 0 if the internet is connected and it will be 1 if the internet is not connected.
If Internet is not connected it will throw an exception and catch will execute printing respective message.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important Java and Collections concepts with the Fundamentals of Java and Java Collections Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Size of file on the Internet using Java
- Accessing Grandparent’s member in Java using super
- Using underscore in Numeric Literals in Java
- Producer-Consumer solution using threads in Java
- Copying file using FileStreams in Java
- Swap two Strings without using third user defined variable in Java
- File handling in Java using FileWriter and FileReader
- Simple Calculator using TCP in Java
- Using final with Inheritance in Java
- Calling an External Program in Java using Process and Runtime
- Creating Frames using Swings in Java
- Java program to check palindrome (using library methods)
- Mutation Testing in Java (Using Jumble)
- How to rename all files of a folder using Java?
- Delete a file using Java
- Moving a file from one directory to another using Java
- Send email using Java Program
- Find free disk space using Java
- How to play an Audio file using Java
- Using predefined class name as Class or Variable name in Java
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.