Given a Binary search Tree that contains positive integer values greater then 0. The task is to check whether the BST contains a dead end or not. Here Dead End means, we are not able to insert any element after that node.
Input : 8 / \ 5 9 / \ 2 7 / 1 Output : Yes Explanation : Node "1" is the dead End because after that we cant insert any element. Input : 8 / \ 7 10 / / \ 2 9 13 Output : Yes Explanation : We can't insert any element at node 9.
If we take a closer look at problem, we can notice that we basically need to check if there is leaf node with value x such that x+1 and x-1 exist in BST with exception of x = 1. For x = 1, we can’t insert 0 as problem statement says BST contains positive integers only.
To implement above idea we first traverse whole BST and store all nodes in a hash_map. We also store all leaves in a separate hash to avoid re-traversal of BST. Finally we check for every leaf node x, if x-1 and x+1 are present in hash_map or not.
Below is C++ implementation of above idea .
Time Complexity : O(n)
This article is contributed by Nishant_Singh(Pintu). If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Simple Recursive solution to check whether BST contains dead end
- Check if two BSTs contain same set of elements
- Check if two trees have same structure
- Check if two trees are Mirror | Set 2
- Check if a triplet with given sum exists in BST
- Check if two arrays are permutations of each other
- Check if a given graph is tree or not
- Check if two strings are k-anagrams or not
- Check if two arrays are equal or not
- Check if all leaves are at same level
- Check if two trees are Mirror
- How to check if two given sets are disjoint?
- Check mirror in n-ary tree
- Check if a string is Isogram or not
- Check if all array elements are distinct