Given a positive integer n, the task is to check if n is a Non-hypotenuse number or not. If n is a Non-hypotenuse number then print ‘YES’ else print ‘NO’.
Non-hypotenuse number : In mathematics, a Non-hypotenuse number is a natural number whose square can not be expressed as sum of two distinct non-zero squares,
i.e a non-hypotenuse number can not be put into the form of (x2 + x2 ) or K(x2 + x2 ) ; where K, x and y are positive integers. The number 1, 2, 3, 4 are Non-hypotenuse number while 5 is not a Non-hypotenuse number.
A Non-hypotenuse number can not be the hypotenuse of the right angled triangle having integer sides.
Explanation: 5 can be expressed as 22 + 12.
Explanation: 6 can not be expressed as sum of two different squares.
First few Non-hypotenuse numbers are-
1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 14, 16, 18, 19, 21, 22, 23, 24, 27, 28, 31, 32, 33, 36, 38, 42, 43, 44, 46, 47
A Simple Solution to check if the given number ‘n‘ is a Non-Hypotenuse number or not is to check if any combination of squares of x and y is equal to n or not.
A Efficient Solution is based on the fact that a non-hypotenuse number do not have any prime factor of the form 4k+1.
Explanation: Prime factors of 12 is 2 and 3. None of them is of the form 4k+1
Explanation: Prime factors of 10 is 2 and 5. Here 5 is of the form 4k+1
- Find all prime factors of n
- Check if any prime factor of is of the form 4k+1 or not.
- Print ‘YES’ if none of the factor is of the form 4k+1
Else print ‘NO’
To read more about method of calculating prime factor of any number, refer this.
Below is the implementation of above approach-
Testing for 11 : YES Testing for 10 : NO
- Check if a number is divisible by all prime divisors of another number
- Check whether all the rotations of a given number is greater than or equal to the given number or not
- Check if a number with even number of digits is palindrome or not
- Program to check whether a number is Proth number or not
- How to check if a given number is Fibonacci number?
- Check if a number is a Krishnamurthy Number or not
- Check if a number is Triperfect Number
- Check whether the given number is Euclid Number or not
- Check if a number is a power of another number
- Check if a number is a Trojan Number
- Check if a number is an Achilles number or not
- Check if a number is a Mystery Number
- Check Whether a number is Duck Number or not
- Check if a number is an Unusual Number or not
- Check if given number is Emirp Number or not
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.