Given three corner points of a triangle, and one more point P. Write a function to check whether P lies within the triangle or not.
For example, consider the following program, the function should return true for P(10, 15) and false for P'(30, 15)
B(10,30) / \ / \ / \ / P \ P' / \ A(0,0) ----------- C(20,0)
Let the coordinates of three corners be (x1, y1), (x2, y2) and (x3, y3). And coordinates of the given point P be (x, y)
1) Calculate area of the given triangle, i.e., area of the triangle ABC in the above diagram. Area A = [ x1(y2 – y3) + x2(y3 – y1) + x3(y1-y2)]/2
2) Calculate area of the triangle PAB. We can use the same formula for this. Let this area be A1.
3) Calculate area of the triangle PBC. Let this area be A2.
4) Calculate area of the triangle PAC. Let this area be A3.
5) If P lies inside the triangle, then A1 + A2 + A3 must be equal to A.
Exercise: Given coordinates of four corners of a rectangle, and a point P. Write a function to check whether P lies inside the given rectangle or not.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Check whether a given point lies inside a rectangle or not
- Check whether a point lies inside a sphere or not
- Check whether a given point lies on or inside the rectangle | Set 3
- Check if the given point lies inside given N points of a Convex Polygon
- How to check if a given point lies inside or outside a polygon?
- Check if a point lies on or inside a rectangle | Set-2
- Find a point that lies inside exactly K given squares
- Check whether the point (x, y) lies on a given line
- Find if a point lies inside a Circle
- Find if a point lies inside, outside or on the circumcircle of three points A, B, C
- Check if a circle lies inside another circle or not
- Check if a given circle lies completely inside the ring formed by two concentric circles
- Triangle with no point inside
- Program to print a Hollow Triangle inside a Triangle
- Count of integral coordinates that lies inside a Square
- Check whether triangle is valid or not if sides are given
- Check whether the triangle is valid or not if angles are given
- Check whether triangle is valid or not if three points are given
- Choose points from two ranges such that no point lies in both the ranges
- Check whether a point exists in circle sector or not.