Given a number ‘n’, how to check if n is a Fibonacci number. First few Fibonacci numbers are 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89, 141, ..
Input : 8 Output : Yes Input : 34 Output : Yes Input : 41 Output : No
A simple way is to generate Fibonacci numbers until the generated number is greater than or equal to ‘n’. Following is an interesting property about Fibonacci numbers that can also be used to check if a given number is Fibonacci or not.
A number is Fibonacci if and only if one or both of (5*n2 + 4) or (5*n2 – 4) is a perfect square (Source: Wiki). Following is a simple program based on this concept.
1 is a Fibonacci Number 2 is a Fibonacci Number 3 is a Fibonacci Number 4 is a not Fibonacci Number 5 is a Fibonacci Number 6 is a not Fibonacci Number 7 is a not Fibonacci Number 8 is a Fibonacci Number 9 is a not Fibonacci Number 10 is a not Fibonacci Number
This article is contributed by Abhay Rathi. Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above
Don’t stop now and take your learning to the next level. Learn all the important concepts of Data Structures and Algorithms with the help of the most trusted course: DSA Self Paced. Become industry ready at a student-friendly price.
- Check if a M-th fibonacci number divides N-th fibonacci number
- Check if sum of Fibonacci elements in an Array is a Fibonacci number or not
- Check if a number is Full Fibonacci or not
- An efficient way to check whether n-th Fibonacci number is multiple of 10
- Number of ways to represent a number as sum of k fibonacci numbers
- Finding number of digits in n'th Fibonacci number
- Nth XOR Fibonacci number
- Nth Even Fibonacci Number
- Fibonacci number in an array
- Find the next Non-Fibonacci number
- Find the next fibonacci number
- Find the previous fibonacci number
- Python Program for n-th Fibonacci number
- Count the nodes whose sum with X is a Fibonacci number
- Nth Fibonacci number using Pell's equation
- n'th multiple of a number in Fibonacci Series
- Program to find Nth odd Fibonacci Number
- Count of Fibonacci divisors of a given number
- C/C++ Program for nth multiple of a number in Fibonacci Series
- Minimum number of Fibonacci jumps to reach end
Improved By : Mithun Kumar