If-else conditional statement is used in Python when a situation leads to two conditions and one of them should hold true.
if (condition): code1 else: code2
[on_true] if [expression] else [on_false]
Note: For more information, refer to Decision Making in Python (if , if..else, Nested if, if-elif)
Multiple conditions in if statement
Here we’ll study how can we check multiple conditions in a single if statement. This can be done by using ‘and’ or ‘or’ or BOTH in a single statement.
if (cond1 AND/OR COND2) AND/OR (cond3 AND/OR cond4): code1 else: code2
- and comparison = for this to work normally both conditions provided with should be true. If the first condition falls false, the compiler doesn’t check the second one. If the first condition is true and the compiler moves to the second and if the second comes out to be false, false is returned to the if statement.
- or Comparison = for this to work normally either condition needs to be true. The compiler checks the first condition first and if that turns out to be true, the compiler runs the assigned code and the second condition is not evaluated. If the first condition turns out to be false, the compiler checks the second, if that is true the assigned code runs but if that fails too, false is returned to the if statement.
The following examples will help understand this better:
PROGRAM 1: program that grants access only to kids aged between 8-12
SORRY ! YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED. BYE !
program that checks the agreement of the user to the terms
YOU SAID NO
PROGRAM 3: program to compare the entered three numbers
9 is the largest
Not just two conditions we can check more than that by using ‘and’ and ‘or’.
- Python | Check if given multiple keys exist in a dictionary
- with statement in Python
- Python | Set 2 (Variables, Expressions, Conditions and Functions)
- Nested-if statement in Python
- Python break statement
- Python return statement
- Python Continue Statement
- Python | Exceptional Conditions Testing in Unit Tests
- Statement, Indentation and Comment in Python
- Using else conditional statement with for loop in python
- How to write an empty function in Python - pass statement?
- Multiple inheritance in Python
- Returning Multiple Values in Python
- Python - Replace multiple words with K
- Multiple Exception Handling in Python
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.