Given two coordinates of a line as (x1, y1) and (x2, y2), find if the line passing through these points also passes through origin or not.
Input : (x1, y1) = (10, 0) (x2, y2) = (20, 0) Output : Yes The line passing through these points clearly passes through the origin as the line is x axis. Input : (x1, y1) = (1, 28) (x2, y2) = (2, 56) Output : Yes
Approach: Equation of a line passing through two points (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) is given by
y-y1 = ((y2-y1) / (x2-x1))(x-x1) + c
If line is also passing through origin, then c=0, so equation of line becomes
y-y1 = ((y2-y1) / (x2-x1))(x-x1)
Keeping x=0, y=0 in the above equation we get,
x1(y2-y1) = y1(x2-x1)
So above equation must be satisfied if any line passing through two coordinates (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) also passes through origin (0, 0).
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Program to calculate area of inner circle which passes through center of outer circle and touches its circumference
- Find the equation of plane which passes through two points and parallel to a given axis
- Length of the normal from origin on a straight line whose intercepts are given
- Program to find line passing through 2 Points
- Determine the number of squares of unit area that a given line will pass through.
- Maximum number of line intersections formed through intersection of N planes
- Slope of the line parallel to the line with the given slope
- Number of jump required of given length to reach a point of form (d, 0) from origin in 2D plane
- Lexicographically Kth smallest way to reach given coordinate from origin
- Find the maximum possible distance from origin using given points
- Find the K closest points to origin using Priority Queue
- Find K Closest Points to the Origin
- Mirror of a point through a 3 D plane
- Program to find equation of a plane passing through 3 points
- Maximum distinct lines passing through a single point
- Length of the chord the circle if length of the another chord which is equally inclined through the diameter is given
- How to check if two given line segments intersect?
- Check if a line touches or intersects a circle
- Check if a line at 45 degree can divide the plane into two equal weight parts
- Check if it is possible to draw a straight line with the given direction cosines
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : jit_t