List is an important container in python as if stores elements of all the datatypes as a collection. Knowledge of certain list operations are necessary for day-day programming. This article discusses one of the basic list operation of ways to check existence of element in list.
Method 1 : Naive Method
In Naive method, one easily uses a loop that iterates through all the elements to check the existence of the target element. This is the simplest way to check the existence of the element in the list.
Method 2 : Using
in is the most conventional way to check if an element exists in list or not. This particular way returns True if element exists in list and False if the element does not exists in list. List need not be sorted to practice this approach of checking.
Code #1 : Demonstrating to check existence of element in list using Naive method and
Checking if 4 exists in list ( using loop ) : Element Exists Checking if 4 exists in list ( using in ) : Element Exists
Method 3 : Using
Converting the list into set and then using in can possibly be more efficient than only using
in. But having efficiency for a plus also has certain negatives. One among them is that the order of list is not preserved, and if you opt to take a new list for it, you would require to use extra space. Other drawback is that set disallows duplicacy and hence duplicate elements would be removed from the original list.
The conventional binary search way of testing of element existence, hence list has to be sorted first and hence not preserving the element ordering.
bisect_left() returns the first occurrence of element to be found and has working similar to lower_bound() in C++ STL.
Code #2 : Demonstrating to check existence of element in list using
- Python | Check if element exists in list of lists
- Python | Check if a list exists in given list of lists
- Python | Check whether given key already exists in a dictionary
- Python | Check if tuple exists as dictionary key
- Python - Check if a file or directory exists
- Python: Check if a File or Directory Exists
- Check if a value exists in a DataFrame using in & not in operator in Python-Pandas
- How to check if a Python variable exists?
- Python | Slicing list from Kth element to last element
- Python | Insert Nth element to Kth element in other list
- Python | Replace elements in second list with index of same element in first list
- Python | Move one list element to another list
- Python | Indices list of matching element from other list
- Python | Subtract two list elements if element in first list is greater
- Python | Check if any element occurs n times in given list
- Python | Check if any element in list satisfies a condition
- Python - Check if string starts with any element in list
- Python - Check if previous element is smaller in List
- Python - Check if any list element is present in Tuple
- Python | Convert list of string to list of list
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : nidhi_biet