A matrix is a two dimensional data objects having m rows and n columns, therefore a total of m*n values. If most of the values of a matrix is 0 then we say that the matrix is sparse.
Consider a definition of Sparse where a matrix is considered sparse if number of 0s is more than half of the elements in matrix,
Input : 1 0 3 0 0 4 6 0 0 Output : Yes There are 5 zeros. This count is more than half of matrix size. Input : 1 2 3 0 7 8 5 0 7 Output: No
To check whether a matrix is sparse matrix we only need to check the total number of elements that are equal to zero. If this count is more than (m * n)/2, we return true.
This article is contributed by Vineet Joshi. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Don’t stop now and take your learning to the next level. Learn all the important concepts of Data Structures and Algorithms with the help of the most trusted course: DSA Self Paced. Become industry ready at a student-friendly price.
- Maximum size square sub-matrix with all 1s
- Print a given matrix in spiral form
- Search in a row wise and column wise sorted matrix
- A Boolean Matrix Question
- Matrix Chain Multiplication | DP-8
- Print unique rows in a given boolean matrix
- Inplace (Fixed space) M x N size matrix transpose | Updated
- Maximum sum rectangle in a 2D matrix | DP-27
- Zigzag (or diagonal) traversal of Matrix
- Divide and Conquer | Set 5 (Strassen's Matrix Multiplication)
- Print all possible paths from top left to bottom right of a mXn matrix
- Count all possible paths from top left to bottom right of a mXn matrix
- Printing brackets in Matrix Chain Multiplication Problem
- Create a matrix with alternating rectangles of O and X
- Given an n x n square matrix, find sum of all sub-squares of size k x k
- Print all elements in sorted order from row and column wise sorted matrix
- Given a matrix of 'O' and 'X', find the largest subsquare surrounded by 'X'
- Given a matrix of ‘O’ and ‘X’, replace 'O' with 'X' if surrounded by 'X'
- Find a common element in all rows of a given row-wise sorted matrix
- Program for Rank of Matrix
Improved By : vt_m