Given coordinates of four points in a plane, find if the four points form a square or not.
To check for square, we need to check for following.
a) All fours sides formed by points are the same.
b) The angle between any two sides is 90 degree. (This condition is required as Quadrilateral also has same sides.
c) Check both the diagonals have the same distance
The idea is to pick any point and calculate its distance from the rest of the points. Let the picked point be ‘p’. To form a square, the distance of two points must be the same from ‘p’, let this distance be d. The distance from one point must be different from that d and must be equal to √2 times d. Let this point with different distance be ‘q’.
The above condition is not good enough as the point with different distance can be on the other side. We also need to check that q is at the same distance from 2 other points and this distance is the same as d.
Below are the implementations of the above idea.
Check if four segments form a rectangle
This article is contributed by Anuj. Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Find Four points such that they form a square whose sides are parallel to x and y axes
- Check if the given 2-D points form T-shape or not
- Forming triangles using points on a square
- Check if a number is perfect square without finding square root
- Find Square Root under Modulo p | Set 1 (When p is in form of 4*i + 3)
- Find Square Root under Modulo p | (When p is product of two primes in the form 4*i + 3)
- Check if a number is a perfect square having all its digits as a perfect square
- Check whether four points make a parallelogram
- Check whether triangle is valid or not if three points are given
- Program to check if three points are collinear
- Check whether two points (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) lie on same side of a given line or not
- Program to check whether 4 points in a 3-D plane are Coplanar
- Check whether it is possible to join two points given on circle such that distance between them is k
- Check if two people starting from different points ever meet
- Check whether a straight line can be formed using N co-ordinate points
- Check if the given point lies inside given N points of a Convex Polygon
- Steps required to visit M points in order on a circular ring of N points
- Minimum number of points to be removed to get remaining points on one side of axis
- Count of obtuse angles in a circle with 'k' equidistant points between 2 given points
- Check if the square of a number is divisible by K or not