Given coordinates of four points in a plane, find if the four points form a square or not.
To check for square, we need to check for following.
a) All fours sides formed by points are same.
b) The angle between any two sides is 90 degree. (This condition is required as Quadrilateral also has same sides.
c) Check both the diagonals have same distance
The idea is to pick any point and calculate its distance from rest of the points. Let the picked picked point be ‘p’. To form a square, distance of two points must be same from ‘p’, let this distance be d. The distance from one point must be different from that d and must be equal to √2 times d. Let this point with different distance be ‘q’.
The above condition is not good enough as the the point with different distance can be on the other side. We also need to check that q is at same distance from 2 other points and this distance is same as d.
Below is C++ implementation of above idea.
Check if four segments form a rectangle
This article is contributed by Anuj. Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above
- Find Four points such that they form a square whose sides are parallel to x and y axes
- Check if the given 2-D points form T-shape or not
- Check if a number is perfect square without finding square root
- Find Square Root under Modulo p | Set 1 (When p is in form of 4*i + 3)
- Program to check if three points are collinear
- Check whether four points make a parallelogram
- Program to check whether 4 points in a 3-D plane are Coplanar
- Check if two people starting from different points ever meet
- Check whether it is possible to join two points given on circle such that distance between them is k
- Check if four segments form a rectangle
- Check whether a very large number of the given form is a multiple of 3.
- Check if given number is perfect square
- Steps required to visit M points in order on a circular ring of N points
- Minimum number of points to be removed to get remaining points on one side of axis
- Check perfect square using addition/subtraction
Improved By : Sukanta_it