The OS module in Python is used for interacting with the operating system. This module comes under Python’s standard utility module so there is no need to install it externally. All functions in OS module raise
OSError in the case of invalid or inaccessible file names and paths, or other arguments that have the correct type but are not accepted by the operating system.
To change the current working directory(CWD)
os.chdir() method is used. This method changes the CWD to a specified path. It only takes a single argument as a new directory path.
Note: The current working directory is the folder in which the Python script is operating.
path: A complete path of the directory to be changed to the new directory path.
Returns: Doesn’t return any value
Example #1: We will first get the current working directory of the script and then we will change it. Below is the implementation.
Current working directory before C:\Users\Nikhil Aggarwal\Desktop\gfg Current working directory after C:\Users\Nikhil Aggarwal\Desktop
Example #2: Handling the errors while changing the directory.
Inserting inside- C:\Users\Nikhil Aggarwal\Desktop\gfg
Something wrong with specified directory. Exception-
(<class ‘FileNotFoundError’>, FileNotFoundError(2, ‘The system cannot find the path specified’), <traceback object at 0x00000268184630C8>)
Restoring the path
Current directory is- C:\Users\Nikhil Aggarwal\Desktop\gfg
- Get directory of current Python script
- Get parent of current directory using Python
- Rename all file names in your directory using Python
- Create a directory in Python
- Python - Check if a file or directory exists
- Delete a directory or file using Python
- Copy a directory recursively using Python (with examples)
- Python: Check if a File or Directory Exists
- Python: Check if a directory is empty
- Check if directory contains files using python
- Delete an entire directory tree using Python | shutil.rmtree() method
- Directory traversal tools in Python
- Finding the largest file in a directory using Python
- Implementing a Contacts directory in Python
- Python Directory Management
- PYGLET – Getting Directory for Saving User Paths
- PYGLET – Getting Program Entry Directory
- Working with csv files in Python
- Working with PDF files in Python
- Working with Images in Python
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.