Given an integer N, the task is to find the MDAS factorial.
The general factorial of a no. N is given by :
Factorial(N) = (N)*(N-1)*(N-2)*(N-3)*(N-4)*(N-5)*(N-6)*(N-7)- – – – – -(3)*(2)*(1).
In MDAS factorial, instead of simply multiplying the numbers from N to 1, we perform four operations, Multiplication(*), Divide(/), Addition(+) and Subtraction(-) in a repeating pattern as shown below:
MDAS_Factorial(N) = (N) * (N-1) / (N-2) + (N-3) – (N-4) – – – – – upto 1.
By using the integers in decreasing order, we swap the multiplication operations for fixed rotation of operations: multiply (*), divide (/), add (+) and subtract (-) in the above order.
Input : N = 4 Output : 7 Explanation : MDAS_Factorial(4) = 4 * 3 / 2 + 1 = 7 Input : N = 10 Output : 12 Explanation : MDAS_Factorial(10) = 10 * 9 / 8 + 7 - 6 * 5 / 4 + 3 - 2 * 1 = 12
Simple Approach: : The idea is to use a loop for each cycle of operations (*,/,+,-) and calculate the MDAS_Factorial of N. But this may work slow if N is very large. Time Complexity of this approach is O(N).
Efficient Approach :
If we observe carefully it can be concluded that:
- If N is less than or equal to 2 then answer will be N itself.
- If N is 3 OR N is 4, the answer is N + 3.
- If (N – 4) is completely divisible by 4, the answer is N + 1.
- If (N – 4) gives remainder 1 OR 2 while dividing by 4, the answer is N + 2.
- For the remaining values, the answer will be N – 1.
Below is the implementation of above approach
Time complexity: O(1)
Auxiliary space: O(1)
- Find the last digit when factorial of A divides factorial of B
- Sum of divisors of factorial of a number
- Program for factorial of a number
- Factorial of a large number
- C Program for factorial of a number
- First digit in factorial of a number
- Smallest number with at least n digits in factorial
- Find sum of digits in factorial of a number
- Python Program for factorial of a number
- Java Program for factorial of a number
- Smallest number S such that N is a factor of S factorial or S!
- Number of digits in N factorial to the power N
- One line function for factorial of a number
- Count trailing zeroes in factorial of a number
- Maximum number with same digit factorial product
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : Akanksha_Rai